This morning the following story was on the Bloomberg Dweebsite:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-29/how-haute-vegetables-are-conquering-500-tasting-menus.html

I wrote this e-mail to Ryan Sutton:

Dear Ryan Sutton,

I admit to not having been to any of the restaurants you mention, at least some of them recently. Without your quantifying the produce costs of such meals (beeswax may be expensive, but how many plates do you get from a pound) how do you know that the phenomenon you describe is not the latest manifestation in the on-going process of maximizing profits and getting by with less on the part of chef-restaurateurs while increasingly screwing over the diner in an increasing variety of insidious ways that exploit know-nothingness?

In one specific part of your article in regards to Alain Passard, it was the vegetables that were “good measure”, not the “homard au Vin Jaune” and the marvelous duck dish (whose preparation escapes me) he created, The restaurant can hardly be called one that is primarily vegetarian.

Best wishes,

Robert Brown

PS: I forgot to ask you how many vegetables does David Kinch use for his “gargouillou”?

It's one way to go, certainly; the other way is serving proteins like neck and gizzard, formerly never seen on "regular" restaurant menus.

Any protein can be elevated depending on how many unpaid interns are managing their aritisanal care.

...or foraging...like Portland Earthworms gently garnered from south west facing Willamette Valley Slopes of Alluvial terroir.

It's one way to go, certainly; the other way is serving proteins like neck and gizzard, formerly never seen on "regular" restaurant menus.

Any protein can be elevated depending on how many unpaid interns are managing their aritisanal care.

...or foraging...like Portland Earthworms gently garnered from south west facing Willamette Valley Slopes of Alluvial terroir.

CIA demands that their interns get paid. Dunno about ICE.

CIA demands that their interns get paid. Dunno about ICE.

Correction: Stagiaires