Rich

Kale, the new superfood

Because Rich won't like it on principle.

...and we all know I have principles. ^_^

Perfect set up for a Groucho Marx retort...

• Like 4

Rich, I think, would get upset by Carbone because he'd see at as a falsification/exploitation of his background.

I think that's a bit unfair, because it's Richie's and Mario's background, too. But I don't think that Rich would think that makes a difference.

I think that Rich (and I, for that matter) would like the food at Carbone. It really does sound like they know how to make this stuff and are taking care to do it "right". I think your assessment of whether Rich could allow himself to enjoy the food given the context (trendiness, history, etc) may well be correct; however, I'd be more likely to think that we'd both be fine there for a meal and then wonder why we'd ever go back, given that same context. Of course, I liked Il Mulino in much the same way and Rich thinks that it was always fake/phony. But we both like Parkside more than any of the other places still around.

eta: not that the above will ever happen. I have no plans to set foot there at those prices.

Members here are keenly attuned to the zeitgeist and noticed the Kale Renaissance during it's early stages. I was therefore unsurprised when I encountered this at Smorgasburg -

8691283754_8cc162337f_z.jpg

Nothing says good food like the word "factory" in the title.

Kale chips. $10.

8691283144_c86ca35c36_z.jpg

Kale chips are paleo friendly.

8691283408_2220044769_z.jpg

Maybe Rich can tell us if they really ate miso covered kale in the paleolithic period.

They did, but it was never served in any of the restaurants back then.

I guess the curly leaves would get tangled up in the facial hair.

geico-cavemen-restaurant.jpg

It think the raw foodists believe that food dehydrated below a certain temp is still raw

true, but those are some of the worst tasting kale chips.

I make 'raw' kale chips not because I have ideas about enzymes but because I have a dehydrator and it's less trouble than doing them in the oven: I don't have to shuffle them around, and they never get overdone. They always turn out really well and are successful at work and family events.