Rich

Kale, the new superfood

We eat kale a lot, both in various renditions of salads and also added to appropriate warm dishes.

You mean...in restaurants?

J, No! We serve it frequently at home.

Just curious, why might you assume in restaurants?

That was the origin of the discussion: the current prevalence of kale salads and the like in restaurants (and how even those of us who eat kale all the time at home have trouble understanding why anyone would go to a restaurant and order a kale salad).

We eat kale a lot, both in various renditions of salads and also added to appropriate warm dishes.

You mean...in restaurants?

J, No! We serve it frequently at home.

Just curious, why might you assume in restaurants?

Well actually it was kind of a joke.

Well actually it was kind of a joke.

J, Sorry I missed it! We need more good humor these days here in the U.S.

Yes, and that's where Kale comes in..

• Like 1

I like kale caesar for groups because, I can dress the salad hours ahead of time and it eventually softens.

But, in terms of ordering kale in a restaurant, whats the difference between ordering kale, collards, radicchio, or spinach, or iceberg lettuce for that matter.

And it's (usually) served raw, as opposed to collards. I don't consider radicchio or spinach to be in the same category of greens.

Kale from China... We are going global with this:

8716521209_66562841de.jpg

i personally like kale more than spinach. and broccoli rabe more than both.

You know, the first time I tried broccoli rabe I thought someone was trying to poison me.

You know, the first time I tried broccoli rabe I thought someone was trying to poison me.

:lol: It was probably undercooked. Broccoli rabe needs to be cooked to undercut the bitterness and render it tender. Undercooked stalky greens are disgusting. And I include kale in that category. Greens might be outside of cheese my favorite category of food. And I love salads of baby spinach, arugula,aggretti,mesclun,romaine,butter lettuce,endive,tatsoi, radiccchio,etc etc. But things like collards and mature mustard or turnip greens or kale--cook it FFS.

It is shocking to me how many kitchens who should know better send out undercooked broccoli rabe. Kudos to Locanda Verde where I almost always order it and am always served something tender and delicious.

Isn't kale in Summer Sunset's diet? It seems to be working!

In fact the morning of his race he gets a pint of Guiness and five pounds of raw Kale - breakfast of champions

Isn't kale in Summer Sunset's diet? It seems to be working!

In fact the morning of his race he gets a pint of Guiness and five pounds of raw Kale - breakst of champions

Definitely not the same breakfast given to Dutrow's horses. Or Rudy's! :ph43r: