Rich

Kale, the new superfood

You know, the first time I tried broccoli rabe I thought someone was trying to poison me.

:lol: It was probably undercooked. Broccoli rabe needs to be cooked to undercut the bitterness and render it tender. Undercooked stalky greens are disgusting. And I include kale in that category. Greens might be outside of cheese my favorite category of food. And I love salads of baby spinach, arugula,aggretti,mesclun,romaine,butter lettuce,endive,tatsoi, radiccchio,etc etc. But things like collards and mature mustard or turnip greens or kale--cook it FFS.

It is shocking to me how many kitchens who should know better send out undercooked broccoli rabe. Kudos to Locanda Verde where I almost always order it and am always served something tender and delicious.

This is not a mistake I ever make at home.

• Like 1

This is not a mistake I ever make at home.

That asks the question - where do you make those/that mistake?

I think if you cook collards using the 1:1:1 method they're really great - one pound bacon, one head garlic, one leaf collard.

Too much garlic.

Maybe part of the problem with broccoli rabe stems from the passion for undercooked vegetables that dates back to, what, nouvelle cuisine? At least then the portions were so small. It's a frequent battle at home, since Paul still thinks that's the best way to have them. He doesn't understand that it's possible to keep the color in a vegetable but not leave it so hard it breaks your teeth. He'd prefer being a raw veggist if he could. Ugh.

Just got off the phone with my Kale purveyor. Told me the new item on her company's produce list is Baby Kale. It's harvested just three weeks after inception and is much sweeter with less ruffage factor and is kelly green. She says it's all the rage in Katmandou.

I get lots of baby kale from the neo-hippies at the Greenmarket. It's nice.

Bet it's not kelly green. Real baby kale is kelly green. What they have in the farmer's market is wild dandelion root, which they pass off as baby kale. Ask for the certificate of authenticity - only real Baby Kale carries those credentials.

But it's still kale.

Seriously, I like kale, maybe even love it (not as much as chard, though) but I've had enough for the year, thank you.

Seriously, I like kale, maybe even love it

Kale - Love it or Leave it. It's the title of an unpublished book by Truman Capote.

I think if you cook collards using the 1:1:1 method they're really great - one pound bacon, one head garlic, one leaf collard.

lol. that is the perfect proportion