Sign in to follow this  
Stone

Garden Planning Software?

Is there a website somewhere where I can put in my zip code, the size of the bed, shade/water conditions, and get suggestions for plants/organization?

• Like 31

non-dickish answer. Find the best garden center in the general area and go there tell them what you want in the bed in terms of do you want trees, scrubs, perennials, annuals, etc.

You might also want to talk to the Ag Co-op about figuring out your soil type.

again - non-dickish answer.

A list isn't very useful because there are too many variables to reduce plant selection down to what USDA hardiness and heat zone you live in. There is also the issue of availability - I have no idea what the nursuries in the Hudson Valley grow. Its not unusual for things that should grow well in an area just for what ever reason not doing well.

Also there are idiosyncratic things - like particular critters that love a type of plant, or a disease or pest that is a problem. They will also help you with soil amendments if you don't want to go the ag co-op route.

A good garden center will answer those questions.

As far as the actual design goes - plant less than you think you need and make sure you know how big things are at maturity. Leave gaps for annuals so you have color at high summer and try to make sure everything else doesn't display at the same time.

None of this is difficult but to do it well requires some domain knowledge.

Is there a website somewhere where I can put in my zip code, the size of the bed, shade/water conditions, and get suggestions for plants/organization?

sproutrobot will tell you what will grow in your zipcode and when to plant.