So...where'd you eat this week?

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wanted to get some activity here...so where'd you eat this week? New, old, good, bad, same as last time?   Just a quick two (more later) -- I grabbed lunch/burger at the Dutch House (Fair Lawn, revi

Had lunch at the Emerson Hotel...nothing new. Same menu, same people, same same. LOL.   If you like their open-sliced steak sandwiches, well, they are the same too. Good service, nice crowd, and cer

Had dinner at Rudy's -- the Cliffside Park mainstay classic...I went to Rudy's for the first time in 1984...and not much has changed...and that's a good thing...a very good thing.   Walk into Rudy's

it gives me a chance to see a certain Freshman student at MSU who every time I see her it just makes me smile. :D

I hope you realize, this makes you as suspect as me.

LOL...No reason for me to be suspect at all...Simply a wonderful, incredible daughter.

Had an incredible dinner at Olar (Piermont) last night (yes, I know, it's not NJ...but it's Rockland and it's close, LOL).

The scallop ceviche was excellent -- scrumptious scallops, served in a mild, but flavorful lemon, butter, viniagrette. On my previous visit they were out of it, so I was looking forward to it this time -- and as I said, it was excellent. We also had one of their signature pizzas as an appetizer -- artichoke, ricotta and mozzarella. They do it right. I don't know how they prepare/cook it, but their pizzas are very good. For the entrees -- we had one of the salmon specials, and I had a risotto special. It was a black, squid ink risotto, with small calamari, octopus, and white beans. It was prepared and served perfectly -- and it too was excellent.

This place is a small, off the radar gem. I highly suggest it and strongly recommend it. Make a reservation, you will need it.

Had dinner at E&V...classic, as always. Nothing changes here...not even the waitress, LOL.

The calamari salad (appetizer) was very good. I had the seafood risotto, sans the salmon. It was good. As I've always said, risotto can be a make or break dish.

Same after almost 50 years, LOL. Although I've only been going for about 30, LOL.

Classic, reliable, good Italian food.

Adam Weiss has taken the helm at Due in Ridgewood. I must admit, when I was there over the summer, I really didn't enjoy it.

THAT has changed! Delicious, creative, just yummy...

calamari to die for

Turkey meatballs with Sunday sauce perfection

Pork chop, so well flavored and seasoned.

Highly recommend and let me know!

Cheers,

Christine

• Like 1

Had an incredible dinner at Olar (Piermont) last night (yes, I know, it's not NJ...but it's Rockland and it's close, LOL).

The scallop ceviche was excellent -- scrumptious scallops, served in a mild, but flavorful lemon, butter, viniagrette. On my previous visit they were out of it, so I was looking forward to it this time -- and as I said, it was excellent. We also had one of their signature pizzas as an appetizer -- artichoke, ricotta and mozzarella. They do it right. I don't know how they prepare/cook it, but their pizzas are very good. For the entrees -- we had one of the salmon specials, and I had a risotto special. It was a black, squid ink risotto, with small calamari, octopus, and white beans. It was prepared and served perfectly -- and it too was excellent.

This place is a small, off the radar gem. I highly suggest it and strongly recommend it. Make a reservation, you will need it.

My personal problem with Piermont -- which even I agree belongs on the N.J. Board -- is that whenever I'm there, it's always to go to The Turning Point with the same friend who always insists on grabbing a burger there for dinner. It's funny: he's open to going to the Harbour House for a drink afterwards while I wait for the New York bus, which stops right outside (GREAT bar, if anyone didn't already know). But my attempts to lure him to Xavier's or O Lar before a show have always failed. I'll have to try harder. (Not to mention my brother, who lives in a NY suburb not far from Piermont.)

I just love Piermont. What a great place.

Adam Weiss has taken the helm at Due in Ridgewood. I must admit, when I was there over the summer, I really didn't enjoy it.

THAT has changed! Delicious, creative, just yummy...

calamari to die for

Turkey meatballs with Sunday sauce perfection

Pork chop, so well flavored and seasoned.

Highly recommend and let me know!

Cheers,

Christine

Big news. Thanks.

My personal problem with Piermont -- which even I agree belongs on the N.J. Board -- is that whenever I'm there, it's always to go to The Turning Point with the same friend who always insists on grabbing a burger there for dinner. It's funny: he's open to going to the Harbour House for a drink afterwards while I wait for the New York bus, which stops right outside (GREAT bar, if anyone didn't already know). But my attempts to lure him to Xavier's or O Lar before a show have always failed. I'll have to try harder. (Not to mention my brother, who lives in a NY suburb not far from Piermont.)

I just love Piermont. What a great place.

It's so funny you say that -- for many years, I WAS THE SAME! LOL. Whenever I used to go to Piermont, it was the Turning Point. Sometimes we ate elsewhere and were going to hear a band, or to meet others for a drink. Sometimes it was just a night to hang out. Maybe it was the friends/crowd, I don't know, but eating was never a Piermont thing. But that changed -- and Olar is one reason! I guess it changed because crowds change, things change, etc. Sometimes it was a question of whether we (as a group) were meeting to eat or meeting to go out for a drink.

Piermont is a very nice town -- very popular. A lot to do, a lot of fun. Enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...

La Vera Cucina (Suffern) -- very good as always. A lot of flavor and taste in various dishes/sauces.

Zorba's (Wayne) -- reliable, consistent, good Greek food. Not fine dining, but you will get tasty, quality food. I've always liked this place. I've had too many "bad" chicken dishes, gyro's, spanikopita, melitzoensalata, (sp.?) etc. LOL.

Masago (Ridgewood) -- had a late meeting and was hungry. Just wanted something good, reliable, fast, etc. It was late and I wasn't in the mood to deal with anything, LOL. So I stopped into Masago -- very good as always! Small, quiet, off the beatin' path, under the radar, and so on. Service is usually "so so" but management does a good job. It's usually busy and there's usually a wait -- but since I got there late, it was nice and quiet. The tables were still full though! I sat at the sushi bar -- and as always, everything was very good. Fresh, quality fish, prepared well. I had a few rolls and liked all of them. Also not fine dining, but if you enjoy sushi and don't mind a small, BYO, that can be crowded, etc. -- try it.

Early dinner at Osteria Morini in Bernardsville after a visit to the Mansions in May program. This year's site was Blairsden in Peapack. It's a partially restored, sprawling brick mansion from the Gilded Age of the 1890s. On the next hill over from the similar mansion on a hill which houses Ninety Acres and Naritar. Each room was re-imagined with a different design firm. And the place had a wonderful, new kitchen. Probably $300,000 worth.

Another fine meal at Morini. The special was a ramp pesto, with a combination of ramps and basil with oil and pine nuts as the pesto, fresh spring peas and risotto. Dressed with a few sprigs of ramps and parsley to give the bowl an additional dimension of height. It was very nicely presented, with bread toasts on the side.

Dee had the eggplant rollatini, three pieces of sauteed eggplant in a crisp crust, topped with a light tomato cream sauce. Liked t.

I had a Victory ale on tap, Dee had a half bottle of Prosecco. And two scoops of ice cream, the espresso was dusted with powder, and the pistachio had a dusting of chopped nuts. Deep flavors.

Our bar keep, Karen, took excellent care of us. We also had the opportunity to watch the pre-service briefings. I've heard that the Michael White empire has detailed staff briefings, but this was pretty impressive.

It started with an inspection of both rest rooms, the front door (for smudges on the glass, etc), and a sighting down the bar for streaks, wetness, etc. And a walk through of the room. Meanwhile, Chef Doerfler had brought out two serving pieces of food for the staff. Everyone got a label of item 1, and offered their comments. Repeat with item 2.

The staff then moved as a group to a few tables where the chef walked through what was in the specials they had tried. Everyone wrote down the details, and reiterated their comments. The chef then gave them his description of how each item was to be described, word for word. And a general discussion of the rest of the menu.

Then the wine guy, having finished his inspections, sat down and discussed the wines the house wanted emphasized tonight. Backgrounds, why sangiovase wines go especially well with grilled meats, and which wines would be available by the glass. Which wines would be offered with an 8 oz pour, etc. I was very pleased that the bussing staff had joined the group, and had an opportunity to hear this very knowledgeable guy discuss wines.

Overall, a highly pleasant experience. Not an especially cheap one, though. The meal came to about $60 with tax, plus tip. I hope to get back for the ramps while they're still in season.

Steak dinner at Rod's in Convent Station. My husband had the Keller Family Ribeye, Keller Style, I had the dry aged Ribeye special, which had a delicious soy and I believe miso reduction sauce with roasted mushrooms and a broiled tomato. Bottle of Sebastani Cab.

Great as always. (Full disclosure, I worked there about 10 years ago and was married at the Madison six months ago. The meal wasn't comped nor did I expect it to be in any way).

Dessert was Ben & Jerrys "What a Cluster" picked up on the way home.

• Like 1

Had dinner at the Knife and Fork Inn over the weekend...excellent! The lobster risotto was excellent -- excellent flavor, done/prepared perfectly, plenty of nice sized pieces of lobster. My filet was done perfectly and the scallops (special) was excellent as well. Relaxed at the bar with a nice drink before dinner. Once again, an excellent experience all around, and excellent food. The service was also excellent -- prompt, attentive, on top of everything.

Decided a quick lunch was in order -- just a bite -- and went to White House Subs (at the Taj Majal). I had to be there for a meeting and didn't feel like going to original/other location. Good subs. I had a sausage and onions -- the sausage was "spicy" but I liked it. The person behind the counter warns you it's a little spicy and it had nice flavor and a nice bite. It is not a regular sausage served in the casing/link/etc. It is more just plain sausage meat, maybe a patty that they crush and flatten out. Regardless, it was good.

Went to Restaurant Serenade this weekend as well. I wanted to be impressed. I planned many dinners there during my years as a meeting planner and live 2 miles away. Sadly, I wasn't. I felt it was too precocious. I'm never a fan of wine lists with limited affordable, aka less that $100 per bottle wine lists. I always also disappointed by their pork chop entree, which was highly recommended. I have a tendency to over salt everything, but even this was too salty for me. The vibe wasn't relaxing. Yet, I've been completely relaxed at more "formal" , at least by dress code standards, places such as Highlawn and the Manor. My husbands salmon was delicious though. I will probably give it another try, but being an almost lifetime resident of Morris County and having worked in many fine dining establishments, I must admit I can find better places to spend our money.

• Like 1