So...where'd you eat this week?

Went to the Brick House last night...and ended up eating, LOL. Just a couple of appetizers though.

Had the Sicilian potato chips and the "Asian" calamari -- two of the more popular appetizers. I am finicky when it comes to calamari. Everybody does it, but few do it well in my opinion, at least not for my likes, tastes, etc. I think most places just throw 'em in and fry 'em up, and even places that don't, I think it's common that they are "over-cooked" so to speak. Even when they are not -- I don't like that thick breading/batter, crunchy enough to break a tooth style, LOL. So I think the calamari at Rudy's (Cliffside Park) is the best in Northern NJ -- one of the best in the state -- but I've also always enjoyed the calamari at the Brick House.

More done in a "lightly fried" fashion and the calamari is never rubbery, chewy, over-cooked, over-salted, etc. Aldo offers the traditional kind, and also the "Asian" version. Both are very good in my opinion and I like them.

Yes, it's all about the sauce too, LOL; but if the calamari isn't prepared well, the sauce ain't gonna change that, LOL.

Drinks were excellent as usual, nice crowd, excellent service -- and the appetizers were excellent!

The Brick House has long been a favorite of mine.

• Like 2
  • Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wanted to get some activity here...so where'd you eat this week? New, old, good, bad, same as last time?   Just a quick two (more later) -- I grabbed lunch/burger at the Dutch House (Fair Lawn, revi

Had lunch at the Emerson Hotel...nothing new. Same menu, same people, same same. LOL.   If you like their open-sliced steak sandwiches, well, they are the same too. Good service, nice crowd, and cer

Had dinner at Rudy's -- the Cliffside Park mainstay classic...I went to Rudy's for the first time in 1984...and not much has changed...and that's a good thing...a very good thing.   Walk into Rudy's

Posted Images

Had a quick bite for dinner yesterday at the Shake Shack (Rt. 17 South, Paramus). Very good burger. So, it wasn't a good as I remember, and I kind of got the sense it was becoming a bit more of a fast food type burger. Don't get me wrong, this was BK or Mickey D's -- not even close. It was prepared well, but just a bit more resembling a mass produced, assembly line kind of burger. It was still very good though. I had the Smokehouse burger (I think). A bit "spicy" -- but they brought this to our attention when we ordered it -- from the cherry peppers, LOL. I liked it though. Nice combination with lettuce, onions and tomatoes, and the applewood smoked bacon was flavorful (I think it was applewood, LOL). The fries were very good -- ridges type, crispy, done just the way a like them. I also had a Shack Attack -- some chocolate concoction custard, with chocolate custard, chocolate this, that, and more chocolate -- and it was delicious.

Service was "OK" -- they seem to rush you a bit and with an extensive, "busy" menu that can be a bit tough. When my food was ready, before I even got to the counter to pick it up, the young man was already walking away. He didn't check the order/ticket -- and being that it was busy, I picked up my food and walked back to my table. So, they forgot to give me one of the drinks I ordered (I only ordered two and a shake). My drink was either "not good" or wrong. Not a deal breaker.

For a Shake Shack, what they are trying to be, marketplace served, etc. -- I would expect and want better service. As far as the competition -- I'll still rate Bobby's Burger Palace as my top choice. ZinBurger (specifically Clifton) is my top choice for a more "destination" spot for a burger and a "meal" along with a drink and night out kind of thing. If I want more of a great burger, meal, drink, etc. -- non-chain type, I'll go with the Dutch House, Davey's, and the Porter House.

With all the burger joints out there today -- there is certainly no shortage, LOL.

There's been some speculation by investment analysts about whether Shake Shack can maintain a high standard of quality as they expand. In my several meals, I've noticed different levels of diligence in clean up, presentation etc.

(Excluding the 8th avenue location, which is always a pigsty...)

There's been some speculation by investment analysts about whether Shake Shack can maintain a high standard of quality as they expand. In my several meals, I've noticed different levels of diligence in clean up, presentation etc.

(Excluding the 8th avenue location, which is always a pigsty...)

I can see that. Without question.

Business luncheon at the River Palm (Fair Lawn). So, on a Tuesday -- at prime time lunch time -- the place was almost empty when I got there. By the time I left, there were two more tables, and several people at the bar, but the place was still very empty. OK, Tuesday in the summer. No problem.

So even with the place empty -- my associate and I were clearly catching up, discussing business, and neither of us had opened up the menus yet. However, that didn't prevent them from asking if we were ready to order. I was surprised. After the third time asking -- third time in 5 minutes or so -- I finally said "no, we need some time and haven't looked at our menus yet". After that, they didn't return until we clearly looked at our menus, finished and put them down. Then they very promptly took our orders.

Seems like it might have been the B or C team. I don't know.

Food was delicious though, as always.

Friday night dinner at Taste of Greece -- very good as always. Although they didn't have the baklava cheesecake (a special dessert there -- and it's excellent), everything was very good. A lot of flavor and taste -- this is still a bit of a hidden gem to some. Small, not a lot of tables, BYO -- they do a very good job.

Saturday night -- dinner at Oceanos. From the drinks at the bar to a nice table, and appetizers right through to dessert, once again, very good. Never had a "not very good" meal or experience there.

• 2 weeks later...

Dinner Saturday night at Rebecca's (Edgewater) -- see my thread -- as well as a wide variety of take-out/prepared foods from Morano's (Ramsey). Both the same high level, quality, enjoyment as in the past.

Edgewater continues to build out its rep as a food destination. With all the money in the area meeting the ethnic diversity, it seems like a lot is happening.

Agreed Paul, very good points. I lived in Fort Lee for about 20 years or so -- before I "moved to the country" (that being Mahwah, LOL) -- and I spent a lot of time in Edgewater. I get back there now somewhat often, and I am still surprised by the ongoing and continued development, expansion, etc.

Yes, food, restaurants, there's a lot there. Between waterfront dining, outdoor, options, ethnic, culture, and so on -- but also shopping, residential, more business, services, etc. Fort Lee has a brand new, huge, complex being developed -- commercial, residential, retail, etc., which will be like a small, walkable, downtown, cobblestone type "community" -- and there's a new modern high-rise that's been completed.

Yes, a lot happening, a lot to offer, and yes, they are developing more of a reputation as a food destination.

Anyone eating out these days?

While it wasn't in NJ -- I had a great dinner at Carmine's in NYC (the upper west side location) -- family style, very good food, and a very good time.

• 3 weeks later...

Taste of Greece (River Edge)...again...and again...very good!

Lunch at S. Egidio (Ridgewood) -- I had been wanting to try this place since they opened, and I went with a friend...more details to follow...

S. Egidio in Ridgewood -- I had been wanting to go to this place since they opened, and I finally got the chance. I had lunch there with a friend. It was a while ago, so I won't remember the details of lunch, but I know whether I liked it or not, LOL.

Small place, nice place, a little crowded and cramped, aesthetically well appointed, almost giving off the vibe of a an Italian "bistro" type of place. Nice menu, interesting and enticing selections (the dinner menu looked even better) -- and although they were out of one dish we wanted, we ordered a few others. We had the burrata, which was good. We also ordered another appetizer -- and while I forgot the name, it was their version of a stromboli, but not like the traditional stromboli, as I don't want to do this dish a disservice. This was nice cheese, along with eggplant, wrapped in a nice dough, and baked in their oven -- nice presentation, looked good, but for me it was very salty.

We also had one of their pizzas, margherita, nice tomatoes, their buffala mozzarella, fresh basil, olive oil -- this was very good. Everyone around us seemed to like the various pizzas, and I would go back just to try others even though A Mano is around the corner. There are several other appetizers I'd like to try as well. I did hear one other comment from the table next to ours that their appetizer was also very salty, and while they did not order the same thing we did, I don't remember what they ordered.

Anyway, nice place, I will go back and try some other dishes. They seem to be drawing a nice crowd and doing well.

Nice lunch at the Red Stone Tavern in Parsippany, on US 46 east, opposite Waterview Center and just west of Parsippany Road.

The building is very interesting. At one time it was a huge Fuddruckers. Now, about 1/3 of the building is a Fuddruckers, and 2/3 is Red Stone Tavern. There are separate kitchens, but one liquor license and a shared set of rest rooms. There's also a bar with a bar menu in the front of the building. There's a shared liquor license from what I understand.

RST is a California cool, stone tile floors, glass tiled walls, water elements in the center of the room kind of place. Would be fine for an other than formal business lunch, running from burgers ($10 - $14), pasta, pizza, entrees like stews and pieces of fish or beef. Good beer list with draughts in 16 or 24 oz choices.

My burger was fine, Bourbon finished mushroom sauce with a reduction of onions, brioche bun. With a 16 oz ballast point IPA, the bill came to about $20.

Nice lunch at the Red Stone Tavern in Parsippany, on US 46 east, opposite Waterview Center and just west of Parsippany Road.

The building is very interesting. At one time it was a huge Fuddruckers. Now, about 1/3 of the building is a Fuddruckers, and 2/3 is Red Stone Tavern. There are separate kitchens, but one liquor license and a shared set of rest rooms. There's also a bar with a bar menu in the front of the building. There's a shared liquor license from what I understand.

RST is a California cool, stone tile floors, glass tiled walls, water elements in the center of the room kind of place. Would be fine for an other than formal business lunch, running from burgers ($10 - $14), pasta, pizza, entrees like stews and pieces of fish or beef. Good beer list with draughts in 16 or 24 oz choices.

My burger was fine, Bourbon finished mushroom sauce with a reduction of onions, brioche bun. With a 16 oz ballast point IPA, the bill came to about $20.

I know the building...very interesting...thanks for the review Paul.

Is the Fuddruckers still doing business? Last time I drove by, it was lunchtime, and the place was dead.

Anyway, sounds like Red Stone Tavern is a go to place. Might end up sticking with a burger, but who knows, LOL. Thanks again Paul.