So...where'd you eat this week?

We had a fabulous dinner at recently opened Bistro D'Azur in South Orange. The restaurant is beautifully designed, the food is sensational, and the service is friendly. We were pleasantly surprised to see one of our former servers from the now closed Tillie’s working there. I highly recommend this restaurant. We have to find a way to fit it into our tight restaurant rotation. We shared 3 excellent appetizers including a special of scallops topped with foie gras in a carrot ginger puree, and a fig reduction; lobster crepe with chardonnay butter, melted leeks and mushrooms (split portion pictured); roasted beet salad with baked goat cheese, arugula, fennel, and radish in an orange vinaigrette. For entrees I had melt in your mouth roasted lamb rib chops, chermoula, pearl couscous, squash, dried fruit, and almonds. Mrs. P had pan seared diver scallops paella with saffron calasparra rice, chicken, chorizo, escargot, peas, pimento, and tomato beurre. It all went great with a 2014 Mario Bazan cabernet.

gBkFuhhh.jpg

wgngFqRh.jpg

waeA6Q8h.jpg

zulDr7uh.jpg

NwHa8pih.jpg

sdMl2d9h.jpg

sQ0sZOGh.jpg

Q0ma2Snh.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wanted to get some activity here...so where'd you eat this week? New, old, good, bad, same as last time?   Just a quick two (more later) -- I grabbed lunch/burger at the Dutch House (Fair Lawn, revi

Had lunch at the Emerson Hotel...nothing new. Same menu, same people, same same. LOL.   If you like their open-sliced steak sandwiches, well, they are the same too. Good service, nice crowd, and cer

Had dinner at Rudy's -- the Cliffside Park mainstay classic...I went to Rudy's for the first time in 1984...and not much has changed...and that's a good thing...a very good thing.   Walk into Rudy's

Posted Images

We finally made it out to Il Nido in Marlboro township and had a spectacular dinner. Our server Sergio was fantastic. Real old school service. It was worth the almost 1 hour trip. I wish this place was closer. We have to find a way to get back here again before the crazy summer traffic.
We started off with several appetizers including homemade tagliatelle in a capon bolognese; veal and wild boar meatballs; crispy duck confit with charred onions, shiitake mushrooms, and a puntarelle caesar salad. For entrees Mrs. P enjoyed a beautiful whole black sea bass stuffed with lemons and caper leaves. I enjoyed a supposed 45 day dry aged filet mignon with fresh rosemary, sage, and thyme and a salsa verde. It just melted in your mouth. For dessert we enjoyed the orange olive oil cake. It all went great with an excellent Mario Bazan cabernet.

rTugd5zh.jpg

ZBuBqmJh.jpg

XFg28qvh.jpg

UMj4vlvh.jpg

6mgYevGh.jpg

ITxF3D5h.jpg

X55twWxh.jpg

os2Ikoih.jpg

eGtBtYEh.jpg

Io3lddvh.jpg

f00ZPRvh.jpg

• 1 month later...

Made it to Brasserie Memere in Closter, the new restaurant from the Chef Thomas Ciszak, formerly of Chakra. The restaurants is quite big, I'd guess about 100+ seats plus a bunch of little tables by the bar. We walked in at about 5:30 and they stuck us at one of the little bar tables. I was a little annoyed until I noticed it was 100% full at 6:45 when we left! Clearly our area has been starved for French food!

I had a perfectly cooked hanger steak, and the mrs had a well-executed salad Americaine (excellent bacon lardons!). We also shared a tarte flambee, which was good if slightly too rich (though I guess that's the point). I look forward to trying some more of the classic dishes, though presence of our little guy necessitated the steak order. Weirdly they put a bottle of steak sauce on the table....a bit out of character I think? Service was good though became a bit scattered by the end when it got slammed. 

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

Thought I'd revitalize this thread...

Recent visits include -- Bacari Grill (Township of Washington/Bergen), RP Prime (Mahwah), the new Olar (called Olar Noso, in Northvale), Stone and Rail (Glen Rock), Samdan (Cresskill), Tutto A Modo Mio (Ridgefield), Lu Nello (Cedar Grove), Capital Grille (Morris Plains), Stone Water (at 3 Peaks Marina, in Lake Hopatcong, for brunch), FuSha sushi (Parsippany), Sangria (Mahwah), Savini (Allendale), and Naru (Franklin Lakes). Details to follow...so where have you gone to eat lately?

If you could focus your dining a little further west that would be great. K thx.

The only place I've eaten in NJ this month is Shan Shan in Parsippany which is great tho a little one note.

The last Western meal I had out was Common Lot in Millburn which I like and would rec to someone looking for a place to eat in my part of the world. 

In the sense we have a rotation (which we don't) I rather enjoy Washington House in Basking Ridge tho really the food is "good enough"

Jockey Hollow is the other place but similar thoughts to Common Lot.

Not particularly fond of the options in Chatham and Madison. ( Which are actually closest to me)

Ate at one of the Harvest Group places in Westfield after a U9 lacrosse game a few weeks ago. Meh. Fine. Feels like their should be something good there but I didn't find it.

6 hours ago, E.L.A. said:

Bacari Grill (Township of Washington/Bergen)

We recently (last month) did a 90th bday party for my f-i-l here. No set menu, so the whole menu was open for ordering. My pork chop tasted especially brined, in that hammy sort of way. I'm trying to remember - the bread basket was OK.

And the parking lot (as is the restaurant) is huge!

4 hours ago, Anthony Bonner said:

Ate at one of the Harvest Group places in Westfield after a U9 lacrosse game a few weeks ago. Meh. Fine. Feels like their should be something good there but I didn't find it.

Our favorite NJ French restaurant, Chez Catherine, is in Westfield. Superb cuisine and excellent service in a lovely setting. Worth a trip.

• Like 1

A few excellent BYO restaurants in our regular rotation are James on Main in Hackettstown, The Circle in Fredon/Newton, The Farmer's Daughter in Newton, Fiorentini in Rutherford, Cafe Panache in Ramsey, Bistro D'Azur in South Orange, Drew's Bayshore Bistro in Keyport, Poached Pear Bistro in Point Pleasant Beach.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

My beloved Rod’s in Convent Station (aka Morris Township) sold their entire operations to a management company in CA. The management company had been involved with running the hotel from day one; the family that owned Rod’s didn’t have the expertise in hotel management and I believe it was a condition of getting the original bank loan. The Keller’s have always been restauranteurs, not hotel owners. 

I worked there for years. Grew up going there for most family dinners, back when they had the neon dance floor and the salad bar upstairs.  I was proposed to there, I had my wedding at the hotel and am recently divorced. Everything comes full circle. I’m still sad to see a restaurant ran by generations of the same family sell such an amazingly unique property. I was dismayed when the Knowles family sold Highlawn Pavilion and closed all the dining rooms at the Manor (I worked there as well) but Rod’s hits a little bit harder. 

• 1 month later...

Tried 90 Acres this week. Really beautiful space and the place was jammed but the food really wasn't very good. A smoked pork rack that had been egregiously over brined and a steak tartare that has to much fat in the mix and really was not great.

It's a shame as it's gotta be one of the nicest restaurants in the entire tristate area. Especially on a beautiful summer night.  

Ate at Jockey Hollow as well. Meal was on the better side of the several we've had there tho unclear if we were eating Valenti's menu 

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2022 at 5:36 PM, Anthony Bonner said:

Tried 90 Acres this week. Really beautiful space and the place was jammed but the food really wasn't very good. A smoked pork rack that had been egregiously over brined and a steak tartare that has to much fat in the mix and really was not great.

It's a shame as it's gotta be one of the nicest restaurants in the entire tristate area. Especially on a beautiful summer night.  

Ate at Jockey Hollow as well. Meal was on the better side of the several we've had there tho unclear if we were eating Valenti's menu 

I’m thinking about dinner at Jockey a hollow. Haven’t been there and I’ve been to most restaurants in the area. A few weeks ago I saw Seinfield in town then had dinner at the Sterling Tavern and ran into Kelsey Grammer. It felt like a NBC line up night. 

Stirling Tavern has a great burger and I love it with the unexpected pub cheese. 

I think Stirling Tavern is fine.  Like I'm happy to go there if I need to eat out for some reason, especially at like 8:30-9 when everything closer to me is shutting down.

We mistimed some things last night (wanted to go to Folklore Taco in Chatham but they close at 8 and AB^2 gets out of soccer at 730 @ Central Park) so we ended up going to Nom. I would give that place a "Hard avoid" unfortunately. Not that the place wasn't absolutely jammed on a Tuesday night.

Need to get to Agricola soon.

Incredible dinner at Cafe Panache last Saturday night! Exceeded my expectations -- and my expectations for that place are super-high, LOL. Every dish was excellent, and the layers of flavors and tastes were also excellent!

• Like 1