So...where'd you eat this week?

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wanted to get some activity here...so where'd you eat this week? New, old, good, bad, same as last time?   Just a quick two (more later) -- I grabbed lunch/burger at the Dutch House (Fair Lawn, revi

Had lunch at the Emerson Hotel...nothing new. Same menu, same people, same same. LOL.   If you like their open-sliced steak sandwiches, well, they are the same too. Good service, nice crowd, and cer

Had dinner at Rudy's -- the Cliffside Park mainstay classic...I went to Rudy's for the first time in 1984...and not much has changed...and that's a good thing...a very good thing.   Walk into Rudy's

Off for oysters and white wine at Oceanas. I know I shall not be disappointed! Celebrating that Brooks Brothers is carrying my little book!

I like Oceanos...they are long known for their fish/seafood, and in my opinion what they do, they do right. They have a very good following, family owned/operated, hands-on and they are there, every day. I've eaten there for a business lunch, dinner, and have sat at the bar and eaten with friends, business associates, etc. -- and everyone has enjoyed the food and the experience.

So what kind of oysters were they offering?

And, congratulations on the book!

Actually, Five Guys makes a nice grilled hot dog. (Better than their burgers!) The only flaw is that they only have yellow mustard, which I don't like on a dog. So you have to bring your own deli or spicy brown mustard!

We tried Five Guys once last year (the Manalapan location 5 minutes from our house). The burger and the fries were awful!

• Like 1

Actually, Five Guys makes a nice grilled hot dog. (Better than their burgers!) The only flaw is that they only have yellow mustard, which I don't like on a dog. So you have to bring your own deli or spicy brown mustard!

We tried Five Guys once last year (the Manalapan location 5 minutes from our house). The burger and the fries were awful!

The company's franchise quality control is awful.

• Like 1

As per my post, I agree. But the dogs are very good, split in half on a nice bun. All they need is deli mustard!

Not a fan of Five Guys...as everyone has discussed before, there's just so many "burger joints" around, and when you have a couple you like, you tend to stick with them when you are in the mood for a burger. I try any new burger place that opens, just to see, maybe I'll like it (a lot) and it will become a favorite or regular spot for me. The dog places are few and far between, but the burger places are numerous.

Was on the run yesterday and was starving, LOL...so I was coming down Kinderkamack Road and stopped at Dante's for a quick lunch -- very good sandwich as well as their salads, homemade stuff, etc. They are moving right next door (practically; the building in the lot next door has been under construction) to a new, larger building. Joe told me the time-frame, but I simply forgot. Maybe the spring. Dante's is a long time favorite and has a very good following. I wish them good luck and all the best in their new home.

Had a lunch meeting yesterday...tried to get my friend to try the Recovery Room, but he was craving for the Emerson Hotel...anyway...same ol' same ol'...and that's a good thing.

Pretty quiet for lunch. I hadn't been there for lunch in quite some time, but it used to be pretty crowded. A couple of tables in the bar area and a couple in the main room. Menu is still the same -- they do what they do and they're stable, reliable, etc. They had a printed page of specials -- a burger or two, a couple of sandwiches, typical EH food. I knew what I wanted so I didn't pay much attention.

Still known and the classic favorite is their sliced steak platter. It's still the same -- and if you like it, it's good. I hadn't had one in a while, so it was long overdue for me. LOL. It's thin sliced steak -- good cut, not overly fatty, toward lean, but good -- served over toasted bread in sizzling butter. Add some good fries and you are all set. You can add cheese, and mushroom and onions if you like...might as well go all out. LOL. The thin crust pizza seemed to be pretty popular. There's a full, in-depth menu -- appetizers, soups, salads. As far as entrees, they have a good focus on meat -- different cuts of steak, prepared different ways, etc., and they have ribs as well (I've never ordered them). They have some chicken, fish, veal, etc. dishes as well, but I've never ordered any of them before.

Good local place, like I said, reliable, stable, a long time favorite with a good following. It's better than typical pub grub, mass produced, etc. type food. You can get a good lunch, sandwich, burger, thin crust pizza, etc. here in a nice, local place with a good atmosphere.

Having lunch at Oceanaire today (Hackensack, at Riverside)...wasn't my turn to pick, but I am looking forward to it. A friend took me to the one in Orlando, and it was very good. High quality, fresh ingredients, everything prepared well, excellent service and an overall excellent experience.

Off for oysters and white wine at Oceanas. I know I shall not be disappointed! Celebrating that Brooks Brothers is carrying my little book!

Any advice on other oysters they have there? I know they usually have a good variety and might have something that's not on the menu. I remember the old rule about the month ending with an "R" -- LOL.

Thanks in advance.

Had lunch last Friday at Oceanaire at the Riverside Sqaure Mall (or Shops at Riverside, or whatever they call it now, LOL). This is Landry's first foray into the tri-state area with Oceanaire -- an upscale, seafood focused, nice restaurant. Having been to the one in Orlando, I knew what I wanted, what I expected and I had pretty high expectations.

The restaurant itself -- very nice, modern, but a nice modern flair without feeling uncomfortable. It's upscale, and the atmosphere sets a very nice tone for the restaurant. There is a muted, soft, blue-tint ambient lighting which creates a nice ambiance. Nice bar area and very nice seating area as well.

Let me preface my comments and say a few things. One, a member of our party is a major, well known, seafood importer. His likes might not be mine, but this guy knows his fish, LOL. Two, this is an "upscale" seafood place. Check out the menu before you go so you know what you are dealing with. That said, some will say this place is "pricey" and "expensive" -- both relative terms, and very much relate to value, perceived value, etc. Like I said, I was at the Orlando location, so I knew what to expect. You are talking about fresh, high quality fish, expensive real estate, etc.

OK, on to the food, LOL. So, we had several types of oysters -- French Kiss (from the Maritimes), Kumamoto, Kusshi and Hurricane Island (also an Atlantic Province/Maritime oyster). The oysters were very good -- all fresh, high quality, well prepared, and not a bad one in the bunch. We also had several appetizers as well -- the jumbo lump crabmeat ("very taste" was the comment) and spicy ahi tuna were very good, with the latter having a fresh, crisp taste profile (with a wasabi flavored emulsion of some sort -- whatever it was, it was good!).

We had a variety of entrees -- jumbo lump crabmeat club sandwich, sesame seared yellow fin tuna, scallops, mahi mahi, and golden tile fish -- all very good. Every single person liked their dish and each commented how fish was high quality and fresh, not fishy or bland, not overly seasoned or prepared, etc. All well prepared. We had a few sides -- matchstick fries, asparagus, and the potatoes au gratin -- were excellent. It was made with melted cheese, creamy, and pieces of bacon. The fries had a parmesan seasoning with truffle oil, also very good.

The service -- OK, a few comments here. First, our waiter was very friendly, polite, and made every effort to make sure we had an excellent experience. We were all OK with the service and appreciated it and his effort. Second, so this place is new. While they might have some kinks to work out, work them out fast. The table next to ours had a young waitress and she seemed a bit unfamiliar with parts of the menu and a special or two. From my observations, there seemed to occasionally be a hint of disorganization (maybe a bit harsh in using that word). This is an upscale seafood place; get a seasoned, experience staff in there and they know their craft, they will know that menu and everything else real well and real fast. Regardless, I was fine with the service and it will "settle in" soon.

Overall, I like the place. I will go back. It's a good, quality addition to the Bergen County area and will have a good captive audience from the mall and nearby.

I liked the French Kiss and the Hurricane Island -- again, both being from the Maritimes (Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick). I find the seafood (lobtsers, oysters, etc.) from there very tasty, flavorful, etc. -- and if you are eating at a top place, you are getting top quality and fresh. The Kusshi oysters are from Western Canada and the Kumamoto oysters are from the West Coast/CA from what I gather. There were several others on the menu at Oceanaire, a few from NY, Washington, etc. I don't remember the specifics, but it was all there on the menu. Oceanos usually has -- like you said -- plus a few specials. I always ask and whatever I've had has been good.

I think sometimes people end up not liking a particular oyster because they order it and don't really know what to expect -- so they get something, and they don't like it. However, if it's a good place, high quality, etc. -- more often than not, you ended up getting exactly what it was supposed to be. You just didn't know it. LOL.

Thanks again Christine.