So...where'd you eat this week?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wanted to get some activity here...so where'd you eat this week? New, old, good, bad, same as last time?   Just a quick two (more later) -- I grabbed lunch/burger at the Dutch House (Fair Lawn, revi

Had lunch at the Emerson Hotel...nothing new. Same menu, same people, same same. LOL.   If you like their open-sliced steak sandwiches, well, they are the same too. Good service, nice crowd, and cer

Had dinner at Rudy's -- the Cliffside Park mainstay classic...I went to Rudy's for the first time in 1984...and not much has changed...and that's a good thing...a very good thing.   Walk into Rudy's

Forgot to post...Recently stopped for a quick lunch at Tommy's (Elizabeth)...fortunately...nothing changes...Italian Hot Dog...and the potatoes! Excellent potatoes...couldn't help it...had to get sausage too. LOL.

So I made a special trip -- which of course was well worth it in my opinion -- to Jimmy Buff's in West Orange. As I said above -- still a true classic "joint" and it hasn't changed thankfully.

I had an Italian hotdog (a double, of course), and a sausage (single -- I didn't want to overdo it, LOL)...and while it was certainly overdoing it, had an order of fries along with it. LOL. Being that the fries are the same potatoes that go on the sandwiches, and you get a ton of them on there -- an order of fries is completely unnecessary! LOL. That said -- in my opinion, Jimmy Buff's is still one of the very best Italian hotdogs in NJ today. I haven't "had them all" recently, but over the course of time I've had almost all of them -- and again, in my opinion, this is one of the best!

They use the read-deal "pizza" bread. When I asked where they get their bread from, the woman told me "it's a secret". I was sitting at a booth where you could see behind the counter and later on I saw them pull out more bread from what looked like a Calandra's bag. I believe Calandra's makes pizza bread -- but it might only be for restaurant clients only. In the past, I've looked for it in supermarkets, specialty stores, bakeries, etc., and it's a very rare find. Regardless, the bread is very good -- nice crust, not too hard, and the bread holds the entire sandwich (which is a lot!), but it's "light" in some respects, not too doughy or dense; like the perfect balance.

The guy behind the counter stands in front of a grill...he opens the bread, then puts in the hotdog, onions and peppers -- both of which are sitting in a tray/dish, one side tilted-slightly elevated , just waiting to be pushed to the other side into the oil. It looks "interesting" -- but don't judge. The best is yet to come, LOL. He then adds potatoes...no, adds is not the right word...he piles on potatoes! The potatoes are in the same tray/dish and prepared the same way. The potatoes appear to be hand-sliced (which is the way I like them). They are not cubed or anything of the like. Bottom line -- these potatoes are excellent!!! In my opinion, these are the best potatoes I've had on any Italian hotdog anywhere...and as I said, in my opinion, this is one of the very best Italian hotdogs I've ever had.

As far as the hotdog -- I believe they still use hotdogs from Best Provisions in Newark. I would estimate this was a 10/1 size dog and I remember reading that's what they used in the past, so perhaps it's still the same. Side note -- if I were making an Italian hotdog at home for myself -- although I can't find really good pizza bread -- I would use a bigger hotdog, but that's just me.

More to follow on the sausage and the rest of the meal...however, feast, is a far more appropriate word. LOL.

Fin, Montclair. Charming. Delish.

Fin, Montclair. Charming. Delish.

Montclair's Fin does a consistently wonderful job with fish. They really know their stuff.

The Summit location remains a hard-to-get ticket, months after they opened.

I've heard nothing but good things about Fin (Montclair) from several people who I know. One friend is a chef and he had very positive comments, and another friend is a major seafood importer and he very much liked the place. Both have gone back several times.

I would probably end up in Montclair, before Summit, as it's closer, more convenient, etc. -- and it gives me a chance to see a certain Freshman student at MSU who every time I see her it just makes me smile. :D

Maybe this weekend -- I am overdue for a Montclair visit. Had lunch at Cuban Pete's a few weeks ago...good as usual.

Had dinner recently at Zorba's in Wayne...as well as Masago in Ridgewood...and the River Palm in Mahwah...all very good as usual...

Looking forward to Bobby Q's, Mesob, and Olar -- all hopefully this week.

• 2 weeks later...

Oceanos...excellent as usual. Stopped in to meet a few friends for a drink, ended up sitting at the bar and all of us snacking, eating, etc. Everything excellent!

A few regular spots recently -- Fink's, Sakura Bana, Hacienda (Suffern), and the Office in Montclair (LOL, long story).

This week -- Olar and hopefully Mesob.

Was also recently at Sear and Sparkill Steakhouse...anyone else been either place recently? Was going to offer some commentary, but didn't want to start a war of words over demographics, geographics, and so on, LOL.

Got a ton of take-out, prepared foods, salads, deli, etc. from Morano's in Ramsey...does anyone know anything about the place being for sale (last year or prior) or perhaps being sold recently? Any changes taking place there? Thanks in advance.

Need to find a Chinese restaurant for dinner with some people...so I am going to ask the resident experts here...Chengdu 23 or Chengdu 1? Food is the driving factor here...Which has better food in your opinion? Thanks in advance.

Need to find a Chinese restaurant for dinner with some people...so I am going to ask the resident experts here...Chengdu 23 or Chengdu 1? Food is the driving factor here...Which has better food in your opinion? Thanks in advance.

Hard core foodies? My choice would be Chengdu 1 in Cedar Grove. I like the place better, but the linoleum, mirrors, yellow trim, etc might put off some folks

Mixed group? Probably Chengdu 23 in Wayne. A little more polished, better atmosphere,

We're fortunate to be choosing between two very good, high quality places. Either one would be a gem in most places.

• Like 1