What Is A Dive Bar?

sorry for being pedantic...but dive bars don't serve old fashioneds....you mean "normal" bar-style. dive bars serve beers and shots of jager or crown or what-not. normal bars serve crappy cocktails and overpriced bad wine.

• Like 8
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sorry for being pedantic...but dive bars don't serve old fashioneds....you mean "normal" bar-style. dive bars serve beers and shots of jager or crown or what-not. normal bars serve crappy cocktails

I do think there are a number of "dive bars" in Manhattan that were opened for the express purposes of looking like dive bars, but to serve a non-divey clientele.   That's probably why sometimes yo

The only food they have is $1 popcorn, plus whatever you bring in with you.

the Double Down is not a dive bar. it's a Vegas-based chain theme park bar.

there really aren't too many dive bars left in Manhattan, if any.

ETA: Siberia was almost a dive bar but way too trendy. if you're going to find a dive bar in Manhattan these days your best bet would be Yorktown...but I doubt even that. the rent is too high. Blue and Gold is dive-barish...but its actually more a college bar I think.

While I agree with you on Dive Bars in Manhattan - I have to tell you that from my disturbingly voluminous time spent in dive bars in NY 'burbs - you can get an old fashioned.

A Brandy Old Fashion is like the ur-drink of Wisconsin dive bars.http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/22/case-study-the-old-fashioned-wisconsin-style/?_r=0

I mean don't get me wrong - they are terrible old fashioneds

Manhattan never had tons of them but there are certainly fewer of them now. You're right - higher rents are pushing them out.

We still have Ear Inn. And the Subway Inn. And the Patriot Saloon. There's more.

l.jpg

I just had to post this picture. Makes you want to take her home to meet your mom.

If you don't think the Double Down and Blue & Gold are dive bars, then there's no point in discussing this.

they're really not. real dive bars were priced out of Manhattan/affluent Brooklyn just like their clientele were.

Manhattan never had tons of them but there are certainly fewer of them now. You're right - higher rents are pushing them out.

We still have Ear Inn. And the Subway Inn. And the Patriot Saloon. There's more.

l.jpg

I just had to post this picture. Makes you want to take her home to meet your mom.

oh is that that UWS place? or remember Hell Bar? those are fake dive bars. just look at the clientele.

True story. In Brooklyn there's an industrial area on the waterfront by the BQE in Sunset Park. Giuliani had passed a law that said that "adult" businesses couldn't be in residential areas so this neighborhood attracted it's share of sleaze.

About 10 years ago I was driving down 2nd Ave. by the warehouses when I saw a little dump of a place with a neon sign in the window.

MOM'S TOPLESS BAR

Wisconsin is different in a number of ways....but a true dive bar in most places is generally going to stick to beer, white zinfandel (for the fancy people) and jack and coke type stuff....

listen - I've had a guy die of liver failure on a stool next to me. I know that of which I speak.