What Is A Dive Bar?

I do think there are a number of "dive bars" in Manhattan that were opened for the express purposes of looking like dive bars, but to serve a non-divey clientele.

That's probably why sometimes you hear people in New York referring to real dive bars as "old man bars".

• Like 1
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sorry for being pedantic...but dive bars don't serve old fashioneds....you mean "normal" bar-style. dive bars serve beers and shots of jager or crown or what-not. normal bars serve crappy cocktails

I do think there are a number of "dive bars" in Manhattan that were opened for the express purposes of looking like dive bars, but to serve a non-divey clientele.   That's probably why sometimes yo

The only food they have is $1 popcorn, plus whatever you bring in with you.

"Priced out." The most expensive drink at Blue & Gold is like $6.

Blue & Gold looks like a dive bar. but its basically a college bar (and they make concessions to Manhattan snootiness in terms of the liquids available)

if you've never been to a bar where Miller or Bud were the most "Premium" beers available then you've never been to a dive bar.

I do think there are a number of "dive bars" in Manhattan that were opened for the express purposes of looking like dive bars, but to serve a non-divey clientele.

That's probably why sometimes you hear people in New York referring to real dive bars as "old man bars".

right. that's why I called them "theme park" bars.

this is a pretty good summary: http://www.theweeklydive.com/2008/06/what-defines-a-dive-bar.html

I don't know what a herna or a pivonice is so I'm probably not qualified to participate.

in the Czech Republic a pivonice ("beer place") is a bar or restaurant. a herna bar is a bar with slot machines and is usually open 24 hours with old decrepit gamblers drinking beer and playing the slots with their pension. the herna bars are the dive bars.

I wasn't aware that NY suburb bars make old fashioneds (I do remember them in Wisconsin)....it's highly unlikely that they would in Texas or Georgia...I'm not sure about Maryland...probably not.