What Is A Dive Bar?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sorry for being pedantic...but dive bars don't serve old fashioneds....you mean "normal" bar-style. dive bars serve beers and shots of jager or crown or what-not. normal bars serve crappy cocktails

I do think there are a number of "dive bars" in Manhattan that were opened for the express purposes of looking like dive bars, but to serve a non-divey clientele.   That's probably why sometimes yo

The only food they have is $1 popcorn, plus whatever you bring in with you.

another distinguishing characteristic - morning hours.

I once took over a previous marketing rep's territory, before there were navigation systems and and google maps. This guy had a hard copy map of every city he visited with not his clients/prospects marked off on each map but the bars nearby and their opening hours. Blackies: 6:00am. He died of liver failure.

A.) Half filled rack of ancient Lays potato chips behind the bar or vending machine full of spanish peanuts

B.) The same 6 -7 regulars drinking well Scotch or 6oz glasses of beer.

C.) There is still a pile of ashtrays in the corner

D.) Bartender has his old amateur boxing photo over the register.

The Three Principles of a Dive Bar.

A dive bar is cheap. No fancy drinks. Ordering one might get you punched.

A dive bar is funky and its patrons are funky. Guy's with hooks for hands. Ex cons. Or better yet, escapees. If a patron actually managed to graduate high school the other barflies call him "the professor." Some dive bars are dirty, some aren't. But all are funky.

A dive bar is almost invariably in a weird area. The Call Box is under the BQE. The Turkey's Nest was in a desolate area of north Williamsburg that has only recently become civilized. Port 41, a true hellpit, was on a moonscape street in the shadow of the Port Authority.

I honestly doubt that you have ever been to a dive bar.

I'm from philly, I've been to plenty of dive bars. My favorite was a place on the corner of 3rd & Mercy called Cookie's. No draft beers at all. Miller Lite ponies were $1.50.

Food? Food? No way. Even a friolator is too much. Maybe a friolator that hasn't been turned on in ten years though.

- Has a draft line, but only a fool would drink from it.

Also on LI you get the coke-y dives which are quite a sight.

Good stuff.

Plenty of places refer to themselves as "XXXXX Bar and Grill." The grill part is their little joke.

A dive bar is funky and its patrons are funky. Guy's with hooks for hands. Ex cons. Or better yet, escapees. If a patron actually managed to graduate high school the other barflies call him "the professor." Some dive bars are dirty, some aren't. But all are funky.

A dive bar is almost invariably in a weird area. The Call Box is under the BQE. The Turkey's Nest was in a desolate area of north Williamsburg that has only recently become civilized. Port 41, a true hellpit, was on a moonscape street in the shadow of the Port Authority.

Who calls Wilf "the professor?"

You need to be able to smell the bar before you see it.

Double Down has a website, a signature drink, and stuff. It's genuinely disgusting so maybe it qualifies anyway, or at least as the McD of dive bars if Nathan objects to its being a chain.

ah the pony. I'm a whore for novelty beer sizes

They're cheap. :D The bartender was also a bookie, and they always had the feed from Philadelphia Park on tv. You weren't allowed to smoke cigarettes after the ban, but they didn't care if you smoked pot or did coke in the back room. I miss Philly.

You need to be able to smell the bar before you see it.

Double Down has a website, a signature drink, and stuff. It's genuinely disgusting so maybe it qualifies anyway, or at least as the McD of dive bars if Nathan objects to its being a chain.

It's a chain, but it's a tiny chain. As far as I know they only have three bars - the DD in NYC and Vegas, and Frankie's Tiki Room in Vegas.

Who calls Wilf "the professor?"

Wilf only visits them from time to time - he's not a regular. He's considered an adjunct professor.

Based on the discussion here a "regular bar" in Wisconsin = "dive bar" in NY/NJ.

Regarding food, a WI regular bar/dive bar are allowed the following:

• Jar of pickled pigs feet (suggestion of very old school dive vs. new school dive)
  • Jar of pickled eggs
  • Chips and peanuts in bags (typically dusty)
  • Tombstone pizzas (must have the Tombstone pizza maker)

You are clearly hoping to improve your classification in town if you serve free party mix in bowls, regardless how stale.