Whole Foods coming to Newark?

I happened to take a walk in the area last week, after my stint on the WBGO fund drive. Definitely concur there's a lot more retail activity now than even four - six months ago.

One volunteer mentioned that the office towers at Raymond and Broad have now been converted to upscale, doorman apartments. About 80% rented, he said. There's a valet van which picks up residents at the train stations, and presumably would pick people up at Whole Foods, Pru arena, etc.

• Like 1

That's interesting about the upscale apartments. I just wonder how sustainable it is to provide shuttle service all over town. Pru shuttles their employees from Broad Street station to HQ and to their space at Gateway. Granted, it's a bit of a walk in the winter weather, but they do it 12 months of the year--presumably for safety just as much as convenience.

Drawing parallels to the JC waterfront, that type of protective service wasn't needed. The JC waterfront was a ghost town at night. You had a better chance of getting mugged by a rat or a blowing garbage can, than a human being. Many out of state and foreign students in the RU b-school are downright shocked at the area in and around the B-school.

• 6 months later...

They spent more than $3 million on Military Park? Does that include the cost of expelling Occupy Newark?

The pater asked me to look at the flats in 1180 Raymond Bd. The one-bedrooms are well over $1500 per month now, and they rarely have more than a couple available. The immediate neighbourhood is still desolate after 5 pm though.

Has there been any more news regarding Whole Foods? From the state of the Hahne building, I expect it will be at least another year?

OK, they just broke ground. Estimate is 'the site nears opening in 18 to 20 months'.

They spent more than $3 million on Military Park? Does that include the cost of expelling Occupy Newark?

The pater asked me to look at the flats in 1180 Raymond Bd. The one-bedrooms are well over $1500 per month now, and they rarely have more than a couple available. The immediate neighbourhood is still desolate after 5 pm though.

Has there been any more news regarding Whole Foods? From the state of the Hahne building, I expect it will be at least another year?

OK, they just broke ground. Estimate is 'the site nears opening in 18 to 20 months'.

A friend of mine had space at 1180. She had a two year lease on 2BR dating from early 2014, good space, knock out view of the railroads (that's important to me). The management offered her a bonus to move out, and she took it.

As far as Whole Foods, I have dual answers in regard to Closter.

Demolition has begun in the Closter Plaza. However I am hearing two different pieces of information from two EXTREMELY reliable sources of information.

1) As most seem to report, a Whole Foods will be going where the old A&P was...

2) ...And this is a biggie: The K-Mart building ( closing 8/15/15) will be combined with a building on the old A &P site ( across what was a rear access) to create a Super-Walmart. I would say that if any town in Bergen County fit the depressed economy model of Walmart's standard locations, this one does. virtually all businesses have faded here.

Gotta wait and see.....

• 4 weeks later...

NJ Monthly has a short piece on the new Burg, an upscale hamburger shack in Military Park, Newark. (I'm old enough t appreciate the irony of that). Three million to renovate the park.

Looks like it should be really impressive place once it opens on July 29, so I may take an opportunity to visit soon.

The menu will include 10 different burgers, including Siversen’s favorite–a “Korean” burger topped with Korean kimchi cabbage relish, spicy mayonnaise and a fried egg, served with a cucumber-sesame slaw

All burgers will be made from the same blend of chuck, short rib and brisket with a bit of dry-aged beef that Siversen uses for his 8-ounce MP Burger at Maritime Parc.

There was just one catch. The Nebraska-based meat supplier that Siversen has long used for his MP burger was fading away, and he had to find a new supplier to duplicate the original grind.

Upscale in downtown:

http://njmonthly.com/articles/eat-drink/soup-to-nuts/upscale-burgers-in-downtown-newark/

After a $3.2 million renovation of a six-acre park we get an 'upscale' burger joint? Surely one of the best kitchens in New Jersey could offer us something a little more ambitious. I'd take the most clichéed New Brooklyn cuisine over this.

Has Burg actually opened? Googling news for 'Burg' + 'Newark' yielded a two-day old story about a pavement in Ohio.

Will it be open after sunset?

Edited: opening now scheduled for September.

This reminds me: I was walking by a desolate shopfront next to Rutgers University and saw a coming soon poster for Nori Ramen, which was supposed to open last autumn. They've not updated their Facebook page or other social media since September. Did they run out of financing? Scared off by Ani Ramen?

• 2 months later...

NJ.com reports Burg in Military Park might open "in the next few weeks". We'll see.

I looked in the windows after a tour at the WBGO fund drive and the place looked done. I wonder if they're waiting for inspection sign offs, etc? Or getting the liquor license approved?

http://www.nj.com/food/index.ssf/2015/10/post_6.html#incart_story_package

• 4 weeks later...

Open till 7 pm but plan to eventually stay open till 9. We'll see.

I hope to visit Burg later this week, though I can't get myself terribly excited over burgers in Military Park. [i was surprised to learn that Maize is still open: I haven't been in over a decade. I wonder how the food is these days.]

And Maize claims to be open till midnight! Though I've seen some peculiar things walking across Military Park after midnight.

I thought Nico was pretty good when it first opened. But I hear it now closes early most evenings?