Sign in to follow this  
Wilfrid

Gay Hussar

I received a message this morning that it's closing after around 60 years. I did have just one meal there which was extraordinarily bad, and made me sick...but other than that, many fond memories. A cozy maze of rooms in the heart of Soho. Portly politicians and actors in attendance.

I loved the roast duck and red cabbage, and also recall some kind of Transylvanian stew. It doesn't look especially expensive now, but it was a special occasion place for me back in the 1980s.

gayhussar.co.uk/

• Like 24

I am close to someone who is going to be very sad about this. A woman in her eighties, a NYC based art collector who spends a great deal of time in London and has been using it as her hangout there for over forty years.

It's a dump with disgusting food, but a barrister friend of mine has (had) occasional dinner parties there upstairs that were great fun.

Just doing some research on Soho, and I see it closed this summer after some 65 years. Brings back memories. It was probably one of the first posh restaurants I frequented, although the contrast between the clubby formality and the hearty Hungarian food itself now seems archaic. There was a Transylvanian dish I used to eat, which I wish I remembered more about; or the roast duck with red cabbage of course.

Much more stuffy and expensive than the Ukrainian on Second Avenue, but in the same culinary purview.

I have fond, faded memories of it. I was taken there for dinner my first night ever in London -- actually my first night of my first trip alone.