Isn't This Good News

I was the one who gave the scoop to Elisa, and I am sure he is a nice guy, but I will pass on Esty from now on. The way Adam was treated after twelve years was truly unbelievable to me. I know a lot of their regulars feel the exact same way. It was a shame. On another note, the former chef at Esty (pre Adam), Jack, now mans the ovens at momento in Ridgewood. Had a great meal there Sunday night, with Adam!

I don't know Anthony Lo Pinto -- and I was very much looking forward to trying his food at Crave and Earth, but I missed him at both. However, I know many people who have tried his food and were "regulars" so to speak. I also know a few people who are peers, in the business, and know him personally, and I've heard good things about him and that he's a "good guy".

I haven't been to Esty Street in a long time and I don't know the "back-story" so I can't comment on that.

I do remember when Adam was promoted to executive chef and the place was sold -- and subsequent to both those events, Esty Street's reputation grew, improved, etc.

Where is Adam now? I haven't kept up.

I was the one who gave the scoop to Elisa, and I am sure he is a nice guy, but I will pass on Esty from now on. The way Adam was treated after twelve years was truly unbelievable to me. I know a lot of their regulars feel the exact same way. It was a shame. On another note, the former chef at Esty (pre Adam), Jack, now mans the ovens at momento in Ridgewood. Had a great meal there Sunday night, with Adam!

Giacomo Mastretta? He left the brew pub out Pompton Lakes way?

I knew Anthony from Crave. That is a restaurant that deserved more (sigh).

I first came across him when I went to "Dish" in Passaic expecting to eat Steve Santoro's food in his new restaurant. It turns out that Steve had left for the evening and the fantastic meal we had was largely prepared by Anthony, who was Steve's sous chef at the time. Got a kitchen tour and all.

I agree that Adam was treated shabbily. But all the same and having been in the same boat myself; things currently are what they are. I hope that Anthony can make something happen. he is a rare talent IMO. I wish him his own success.

Giacomo Mastretta? He left the brew pub out Pompton Lakes way?

I knew Anthony from Crave. That is a restaurant that deserved more (sigh).

I first came across him when I went to "Dish" in Passaic expecting to eat Steve Santoro's food in his new restaurant. It turns out that Steve had left for the evening and the fantastic meal we had was largely prepared by Anthony, who was Steve's sous chef at the time. Got a kitchen tour and all.

I agree that Adam was treated shabbily. But all the same and having been in the same boat myself; things currently are what they are. I hope that Anthony can make something happen. he is a rare talent IMO. I wish him his own success.

Side note/question -- what brew pub out Pompton Lakes way?

Thanks.

I know you addressed the question to Nick, but Rosie puts him at Mack's American Grill in Pompton Lakes last year.

http://njmonthly.com/blogs/tablehopwithRosie/2012/7/3/chefs-on-the-move.html

Please, no, I didn't specifically address the question to Nick -- at least that's not what I intended; and thank you very much for the answer/information. I've always found your posts very informative, so thank you again.

I've been to Mack's -- more times for a drink, but I've eaten there a couple/three times. It was "OK". I would go again and give it another chance, but I wasn't completely thrilled or impressed. I went when they first opened, about a month or two after. It was "OK" that time. We had a couple of appetizers and entrees, and someone ordered a burger. I then went again about 6 months later. It was again OK as far as I was concerned. This time, I (we) only had a burger and an appetizer or two and I don't remember the appetizers I ordered -- but again I wasn't thrilled or impressed.

The place has gotten good reviews and they seem to be doing well. Being in "downtown" PL, there's not a lot nearby like it. Regardless, I would certainly go back again and give it another chance. I'd like to like the place actually.

Anthony is genuinely a great guy. You'd be hard pressed to a find a guy more passionate about ingredients and cooking in general. He's certainly been snake bitten when it comes to business partners/owners. Earth was excellent, but never had a chance. Crave was well funded, but he and the owners had differing visions. He was making 3 star food and the owner wanted to run a jiggle joint club. His resume as a cook, up through sous, is impeccable. Craig Shelton, Gray Kunz, a brief time with Daniel in NYC. His flavors are clean, his technique is great and he is a throwback to the days when a chef was expected to know how to bake and do pastry, in addition to the hot line. Jersey is lucky to have him back behind a stove...He deserves a run with an owner that has cash and knows how to run the FOH...

Jack Mistretta was at MaCk's in Pompton Lakes. His new restaurant is Memoire in Ridgewood.

As everyone here has said, LoPinto is phenomenally talented, but as an executive chef, he never seemed to be in the right place at the right time, and things seemed to fall off the rails pretty quickly. Earth. Crave. Even Threefold, which clearly catered to his interest in biodynamic and organic farming and gave him a good place to work for four or five years, wasn't an opportunity that tapped his potential. This, however, could be pretty special.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...