M. Wells Steakhouse

Went with friends. Practically all of the critic-bait stuff is gone (even the bone in burger) and it's now pretty much an okay-ish straightforward steakhouse. Oysters (okay), salmon roe pancake thing (nice), steak (aged but not nearly as good as similarly priced options in pre-collapse MT, etc.). Blue fin tuna from Montauk (special of the day) was drowned in strongly flavored marinade.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It opened tonight. The first Chowhound review is divine.  

They can attach the bone using meat glue. From that angle, it looks like there's some other sort of flap of meat around the bone, holding bone to burger. Yeah, at this point it is most definitely not

Yeah, but no one's going to do the legwork when the "jokes" write themselves. Even still, they could have been serving their soup in a tureen with a puff pastry top and they'd be mocked for it.

• 1 month later...

Yesterday (Monday) was the fifth anniversary of the opening of M. Wells Diner. So last night (Monday night), they did a thing at the Steakhouse where they invited back the Diner cooking staff and served stuff off the Diner menu.

What a blast.

My dining companion and I wildly over-orderd (and finished everything!), but my two favorites were the aged meatloaf and the tuna with capers in egg yolk sauce.

Everything was over-the-top, everything was fun, everything was delicious.

What a blast.

Agreed. Started with the tuna, followed with the meatloaf and choose the gravlax pie for dessert for old times' sake. Fun. Would have been tempted by the seafood cobbler if not for the larger format. Good thing that they were out of the grilled octopus, or I might have ordered a fourth dish. Good times.

The usual steakhouse menu seems solo unfriendly. Am I wrong?

Oh, it's good. (A little too gloppy -- but I find that everything at M. Wells [all iterations] is a little too gloppy.) I didn't have it last night only because it's on the regular Steakhouse menu, so it seemed like a waste to use up a slot on that special night.

I thought I could eat, but thinking of following the Solomon Gundy with a steak or a pig's head is making me queasy.

I shared that appetizer, a venison dish, and a couple of sides with my daughter, and dessert beat us.