I don't want to jinx myself, but, having had NO VACATION this year, it looks like I'll be able to sneak away for a week or so in January.

My first impulse was to go to Oaxaca (with a few days in Mexico City). That's obviously reliably great.

But I've already been to Oaxaca (DF you could go to every year). (Not that there's anything wrong with returning to places you like.)

It occurred to me that I could go to La Paz and eat at Gustu. I've always wanted to go to La Paz. OTOH, I hate to feel like a sheep, going wherever the Danes decide to open pretentious restaurants.

Hotels are probably better in Oaxaca.

Any thoughts and advice?

• Like 13

I checked the La Paz option after the recent discussion. There's one hotel that people seem to like (Stannum), but the flight was just impossible. I think it's a very long one from nyc too... 24 hours? Maybe combine it with Lima.

Oaxaca I'd probably do February-ish, weather wise. Check the status of teacher strikes. We caught the beginning of strike season in Quintana Roo this year, and had to wait for a few hours at a time for their road blockades to clear up. I assume if it's going on then Oaxaca would be the place that'll be most affected.

Doing more research, it seems like January is a pretty bad time to visit La Paz -- and that August, surprisingly, is much better (cool and sunny: just what I look for in summer vacation spots).

So I think I'm going to save La Paz for a summer vaction (hope Gustu stays open!).

Back to Oaxaca, I guess.

Doing more research, it seems like January is a pretty bad time to visit La Paz -- and that August, surprisingly, is much better (cool and sunny: just what I look for in summer vacation spots).

So I think I'm going to save La Paz for a summer vaction (hope Gustu stays open!).

Back to Oaxaca, I guess.

No San Miguel?

• 7 years later...

OK People whose tastes I trust. 

We need to go on vacation for some subset of days from 12/26 to 1/10.  Probably not all of it. I'm betting on the kinder getting vaxxed by then.  I have been told we need to go somewhere warm and that nowhere in Southern Europe in January is "Warm"

Would love to find something  nice low-key ish with a beach and a pool and some form of kids activities like Behemoth's rec for the Holzner in the Dolomites.  Really don't want to do a big resort, and would prefer eating on site be good enough not to complain, with some options to go offsite.   Don't need any kind of scene.

I'm not interested in like the Rosewood Mayakoba - just too much in everyway. I'm sure its lovely, just not what I'm looking for. 

NB - if its an interesting enough place just a pool is probably good enough for the rest of my contingent.  I'd love to do something like Oaxaca but also don't want to make this a huge planning effort of a trip.

I think the Xcaret / Xel-ha group runs all the resorts with kids activities around there but I don't have any first hand experience with them. You could also very easily rent a condo or villa with a pool right by the beach and have someone plan the right blend of activities for you but of course it's going to be more of a hassle.

p.s. Keep in mind that in early January there's a nonzero chance of getting some chilly days (meaning lows in the 50s and highs barely making it to 70) although usually it's nice and warm of course. A full guarantee requires going further south (Costa Rica or such)

Yo Saint Bonner, buddy !

I still LUV you, baby !

Low-key, schmo-key ... you thinking of stepping up big time or not (cuz markets are up big time … and cash is trash ! ) … further insiders are telling me that this stylish shack is still for sale ie this could be your lucky day !

Even more good luck ... I may very well be on island during that exact time frame … but I’m not totally sure cuz I’m weighing (and buying and selling) my options and your presence and purchase are important factors in my exact positioning on Dec 31 and Jan 1 (as is any new legislation) … but if I be Barts-bound, being the considerate, compassionate, cohabiting kind of guy that I am, I would seriously consider attending your New Years Eve house-warming bash with a couple dozen of my favorite, bad-ass bikini babes (and bad = good in this context … and you thinking I’m joking … but I ain’t … I’m seriously serious … and I’m also willing to house sit for quite a while after you depart ... keep that benefit in mind, my friend)

So here’s the listing … and just offer full price and don’t fuck around ! It’s not becoming …

https://www.wsj.com/articles/st-barts-home-lists-for-80-million-11630697432

Fun disclosure – The article mentions Roman buying a pretty sweet pad on island in 2009. He bought that place from a friend of mine and I stayed there way back when … I must admit that it was pretty swank setup ... so Bonner, what I’m trying to say in so many words is that I might be willing to introduce you to the “locals”, if you know what I mean … it could be an AWESOME career move, just saying …

Great minds, B ! cause I totally agree !

I’m a firm believer that young kids should learn to party like rock stars under parental supervision in the safety of their own home / villa / mansion / club / whatever … and the younger the better … and this only works if chez toi est un endroit très chouette and this definitely qualifies, right ? Think of the Insta pics with their très posh pals ! 

Bonner would be kind of crazy to pass up this deal … 

Anyway I gotta run… off to Georgia O’K