[Northvale] Madeleine's Petit Paris

Three stars in the Record...

but first, a question. Is Madeleine’s menu old-school or classic? I might choose the latter, especially after ordering the wild mushroom Napoleon ($11.50). Its deep and meaty flavor had us fighting for the last bits, while another appetizer, the mundane-sounding "warm mussels" — turned out to necessitate more bread to mop up the white wine/garlic sauce ($10.50). Sole meunière was generous with both its portion size and its characteristic lemon-brown-butter flavor ($30.50). The coquille St. Jacques — drenched in a vermouth cream sauce — transports you back to an era when dishes were unabashedly rich, with no apologies ($11.50). Same went for two nightly specials — pork schnitzel, rustically topped with two fried eggs ($20.50), and a peppery crab cake Louisiana ($22.50). - See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/columnists/238554131_Restaurant_review__Madeleine_s_Petit_Paris_in_Northvale_Continental_fare_is_this_restaurant_s_bread_and_beurre_.html#sthash.tbNWapad.dpuf

• Like 1

IMO, places like Madeleine's are neither. "Classic" is just a kind categorization for behind the times, anachronistic, and resistant to changing with the trends.

BTW, Madeleine's also gets pretty big prices-- I say take a 15 minute ride to Alain's for up-to-snuff modern French cuisine. (Nyack)

What also seems pretty strange is that Ung, who rarely gives more than 2 1/2 stars, gave out 3. But the star rating does not match her review, which strangely seems to want to be complimentary, but keeps making excuses for the place.

Entrees from $28-35 need to be astoundingly better than they are to justify that pricing.

http://www.alainsbistro.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Emily DeNitto offers Alain's Wines & Tapas a Very Good in the NJ section of the NY Times this weekend. There were a few quibbles like the kitchen being an assembly area, but overall it reads well. This is a second location, near the original Alain's.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/19/nyregion/a-review-of-alains-wine-and-tapas-in-nyack.html?ref=westchester&_r=0

Alain’s Wine & Tapas
88 Main Street
Nyack, NY
(845) 535-3434

-----------------------------

This review replaced the New Jersey review which would normally be posted in the NJ section. I wonder if the NYT is cutting back its NJ coverage even more? They went from four reviews to three reviews to two reviews monthly plus a Tammy LaGorce food column. Sharing the already limited restaurant coverage with Rockland / Westchester certainly doesn't seem to be an improvement.

DeNitto also confirms that the reviewers only get two visits. I think there had been a discussion on that a while back.

Edited by Rail Paul

Emily DeNitto offers Alain's a Very Good in the NJ section of the NY Times this weekend. There were a few quibbles like the kitchen being an assembly area, but overall it reads well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/19/nyregion/a-review-of-alains-wine-and-tapas-in-nyack.html?ref=westchester&_r=0

This review replaced the New Jersey review which would normally be posted in the NJ section. I wonder if the NYT is cutting back its NJ coverage even more? They went from four reviews to three reviews to two reviews monthly plus a Tammy LaGorce food column. Sharing the already limited restaurant coverage with Rockland / Westchester certainly doesn't seem to be an improvement.

DeNitto also confirms that the reviewers only get two visits. I think there had been a discussion on that a while back.

I don't know if you realized it, Paul, but this review is for a new second restaurant that Alain opened, a tapas bar. The original bistro is the place I keep referring to, just slightly out of the downtown area, with a much more "French" menu. The new place has a lot of Spanish influences on the menu. Looks good as well.

I don't know if you realized it, Paul, but this review is for a new second restaurant that Alain opened, a tapas bar. The original bistro is the place I keep referring to, just slightly out of the downtown area, with a much more "French" menu. The new place has a lot of Spanish influences on the menu. Looks good as well.

I did realize that, but I should have made the difference more clearly expressed. I'll do that now. And put it on my list for a few weeks from now.

Also, on the other topic, Rockland County restaurants have always been part of the Sunday Times NJ umbrella, going back to when they had an entire New Jersey section on Sundays. It's actually very logical, a lot of NJ-ites go to Rockland restaurants because of proximity and the fact that lots of would-be restaurateurs open up on the NY side of the border, because of the much easier (and much cheaper!) liquor license availability-- making for lots of good choices in Rockland.

Also, on the other topic, Rockland County restaurants have always been part of the Sunday Times NJ umbrella, going back to when they had an entire New Jersey section on Sundays. It's actually very logical, a lot of NJ-ites go to Rockland restaurants because of proximity and the fact that lots of would-be restaurateurs open up on the NY side of the border, because of the much easier (and much cheaper!) liquor license availability-- making for lots of good choices in Rockland.

Thanks for that, as well. I was surprised to see Ms DeNitto's byline on a NJ review. The NYT indexed it under the Westchester section, and left the online NJ section empty. I just figured it was an off week, until I actually saw the paper.

• 4 weeks later...

Three stars in the Record...

but first, a question. Is Madeleine’s menu old-school or classic? I might choose the latter, especially after ordering the wild mushroom Napoleon ($11.50). Its deep and meaty flavor had us fighting for the last bits, while another appetizer, the mundane-sounding "warm mussels" — turned out to necessitate more bread to mop up the white wine/garlic sauce ($10.50). Sole meunière was generous with both its portion size and its characteristic lemon-brown-butter flavor ($30.50). The coquille St. Jacques — drenched in a vermouth cream sauce — transports you back to an era when dishes were unabashedly rich, with no apologies ($11.50). Same went for two nightly specials — pork schnitzel, rustically topped with two fried eggs ($20.50), and a peppery crab cake Louisiana ($22.50). - See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/columnists/238554131_Restaurant_review__Madeleine_s_Petit_Paris_in_Northvale_Continental_fare_is_this_restaurant_s_bread_and_beurre_.html#sthash.tbNWapad.dpuf

Very good review. Thanks for posting it -- and I just read it again. In part, because I just spoke to a friend of mine -- a chef -- who went to Madeleine's Petit Paris recently. He has a background in French cuisine, and I've always respected his opinion, although his likes/dislikes could be very different than mine.

Regardless, he said the food was excellent. They've been around a long time -- considered a classic place by many. I had been to Chez Madeleine numerous times and was a fan. Some consider this place the "last man standing" in the French cuisine arena. Like the article says, old school, traditional French cuisine or more modern, nouveau, French/Continental, etc.? Well, the labeling, advertising, etc. police will have their own say, LOL. My friend calls it "classic" but also says it's French/Continental.

I don't see a lot of "modern" flair on the dishes -- but a personal flair doesn't have to take away from the "classic" nature of a dish. Regardless, who wants to argue about semantics -- it's about the food!

I am very glad that I have plans for dinner here in the coming two weeks.

As mentioned, close by is Alain's, with highly contemporary menu and a modern environment. For a great place that's a bit further afield, Le Jardin de Roi in Chappaque never fails to please-- and it looks and feels like you are in France! (And you might even bump into Bill & Hill as they dine there often!)

Rail Paul...thanks again for the info...Plans set...Looking forward to seeing Madeleine (I don't know her, and I would be absolutely shocked if she remembered me from CM/Bergenfield). Sounds like the son is going "more French" so to speak. Regardless, I am very much looking forward to it. Having tried all the other "French" places -- the semantic and label police aside -- across the spectrum they are few and far between.

Anyway, with the snow subsiding...until tomorrow?!?!? LOL...I hope everyone gets to get out and enjoy some good food.