Sign in to follow this  
SLBunge

Winter 2013 - 2014

Newly minted weather term for the cold snap in the Midwest: Polar Vortex.

At 7 am this morning in Minneapolis the air temperature was -23 degF and the wind chill was -45 degF. Expected high temperature today is -13 degF.

• Like 8

Right, I just spent about five minutes looking up "polar vortex," and it seems the term is being casually misused. As I understand it, the polar vortices are permanent climatological features of the two poles, blowing stronger or weaker seasonally. There's always a polar vortex. So saying, as the news is, that we're about to experience one, just seems clumsy.

Good luck in Minnesota!

10 inches of snow in NY and 13 degrees in NY over the weekend. It's 47 now but it will drop to 11 degrees tonight. To be followed by the plague of boils and the plague of locusts.

10 inches of snow in NY and 13 degrees in NY over the weekend. It's 47 now but it will drop to 11 degrees tonight. To be followed by the plague of boils and the plague of locusts.

or as we say in minnesota, october.

I was out in the cold this morning getting the chickens set up for their day. A gruel of oatmeal, yogurt and bacon grease helps to ensure that they are getting enough fuel. Their poor combs are showing a bit of frostbite.

Out of the wind in the backyard this morning it was tolerable but any wind exposure and it gets brutal.

I don't do bad weather.

Did you ever get around to buying boots or are you still managing with those sneakers?

There's going to be a lot more snow this winter.

New York Times lets its hair down:

Tuesday’s weather will be much simpler and easily described by a four-letter word.

I have boots, but I resent them.

There are certain items of winter apparel that are inherently goofy looking. I refer to these as mental patient hats.

270x330_Raccoon_Full_Fur_Russian_Hat_251

Some people pop these things on their head when the temperature hits 55 and I always think of them as goofballs.

When the temperatures hit single digits I think "I'll bet that's really warm."

just landed in chicago yesterday, it is 70 degrees colder in chicago than it is in NYC. My hair froze on the way to the car this morning.

Jet engines actually perform better at colder air temperatures because the air is more dense.

Similar to starting a car, there are issues starting a jet engine in cold weather because very cold lube oil is viscous and doesn't move well (hard on bearings) and also the fuel controllers tend to go way too rich until you get up to temperature (lots of smoke at startup). But they are all tested and rated to start in conditions down to maybe -40. I think some have oil pre-heaters.