Sign in to follow this  
SLBunge

Winter 2013 - 2014

The good thing about this morning's snow is that it gave a fresh white coating to all the black grunge that has accumulated over the last two weeks. The other plus about the weather - considering that alternate side will be suspended tomorrow, we will be going a new record without moving the car - 3 weeks!

The bad thing - people don't believe in shoveling in Washington Heights. It's brutal up there.

• Like 5

Skiing near Salzburg all week. The slopes are mostly fine but it gets pretty slushy towards the bottom of the valley runs. Warm and sunny -- feels more like Easter skiing than middle February. Can't think of a better way to spend Valentines day though.

The bad thing - people don't believe in shoveling in Washington Heights. It's brutal up there.

Not a lot of chance to practice snow shoveling in the DR.

All of the storms this winter and we lose power today, when it's sunny and in the high 30s. Correction: only half of the apartment lost power; the living room and foyer are OK. It's apparently a whole building thing, as N said there are Con Ed crews in the street and a couple of guys in the lobby.

Expecting 5-10 cm of snow tonight and tomorrow. Some areas of the province will get up to 25cm, plus will have a blizzard warning out. This winter sucks.

Snow is nature's blanket.

Absolutely. The Boy Scout Fieldbook I indexed recently had instructions (with pictures) for building snow caves, snow domes, snow pits, and igloos, and for burrowing in the snow, all as ways to survive or even live out in the snow.

We were pleased last night to find that our winter jackets are still waterproof, as we had to get out of the subway one stop before ours and walk the rest of the way home in the pouring rain. Not due to subway problems, rather to get away from a very high, somewhat scary guy who had glommed onto us in what could have turned into a very bad situation if other passengers (who thought they were being helpful) had not listened to me when I told them to back off. The scary guy kept telling us he wouldn't do anything to hurt us because I had power. Y'all just remember that. :lol:

In any case, I'm not putting my winter jacket in the wash quite yet, even though it kind of smells and definitely looks like it needs it.

Snow on car roofs this morning, if not on the ground.

Wondering if this isn't an extension of winter 2013/14, but just us going straight into winter 2014/15. Bye, summer!

We made the mistake of leaving several windows open when we left the house on Monday. Came home last night to find a FREEZING apartment. This was one of those times where I'm happy Blovie didn't get around to my request to wash the duvet cover so we could switch to our light-weight down comforter. And the apartment is still cold. WTF?