Sign in to follow this  
SLBunge

Winter 2013 - 2014

where are we going tonight?

• Like 2

Just landed in Chicago too and can only think of the Seinfeld shrinkage episode.

where are we going tonight?

A Turkish bathhouse?

I have a late business dinner but will let you know if it gets canceled. Others are flying in tonight and if they are on United, I doubt they are making it in.

I have boots, but I resent them.

There are certain items of winter apparel that are inherently goofy looking. I refer to these as mental patient hats.

270x330_Raccoon_Full_Fur_Russian_Hat_251

Some people pop these things on their head when the temperature hits 55 and I always think of them as goofballs.

When the temperatures hit single digits I think "I'll bet that's really warm."

Paul received a hat like that at a conference in Minneapolis some years ago; it's fabric with a fake fur lining, in the ever-fashionable colors of teal and purple. I refer to it as his "dork hat." Just looked for it but I think it did not make it to the new place; probably went to textile recycling.

I have boots, but I resent them.

There are certain items of winter apparel that are inherently goofy looking. I refer to these as mental patient hats.

270x330_Raccoon_Full_Fur_Russian_Hat_251

Some people pop these things on their head when the temperature hits 55 and I always think of them as goofballs.

When the temperatures hit single digits I think "I'll bet that's really warm."

Paul received a hat like that at a conference in Minneapolis some years ago; it's fabric with a fake fur lining, in the ever-fashionable colors of teal and purple. I refer to it as his "dork hat." Just looked for it but I think it did not make it to the new place; probably went to textile recycling.

I bought one of those Hats while i was in Quebec years ago.. I was fresh out of college, making a nice living and the Canadian Dollar was like nothing compared to the US dollar.. i think it was 1.70 to the dollar.. So, i bought myself a fur hat. It was awesome and warm. However, my cat was in heat and did untold things to the hat and it was best thrown out.

Have I told y'all about the time I went to Atlanta on a business trip, where the weather was balmy, and then was unexpectedly asked to fly up to Montreal to deal with an emergency? Atlanta business casual wasn't much use in a blizzard.

Have I told y'all about the time I went to Atlanta on a business trip, where the weather was balmy, and then was unexpectedly asked to fly up to Montreal to deal with an emergency? Atlanta business casual wasn't much use in a blizzard.

I assume you bought some warm clothes and expensed them. Still, that period from the airport until you finally got into some warm gear must have been miserable.

I was just trying to remember what the solution was, but it was a long time ago. I do remember the dilemma. And I remember being left in an expensive hotel for a week ("Stay there and await instructions") which would usually be fine, but there was no going outside in that weather.

It was--then--the coldest I'd ever been. Long before I moved to New York, so I only really had Europe to compare it with.

Y'all are wimps. There have been several days of windchills between -40 and -50C (-40 to -58F) in Winnipeg. Today's low was a windchill of -39C (-38F). Positively balmy.

11811509975_16ceeb2de0.jpg

I have been wearing a wife beater and board shorts all week over here.

Heard the jet fuel is frozen at ORD...ouch. Hope you're not dealing with the cancellations/delays.