Crowdsourcing an Opinion: High-Mid Openings

I guess I could hide this on a number of other threads, but it might get more of a run as a separate topic.

Sparked by thinking about Betony. How many upscale, but not super high-end openings have we seen in Manhattan over the last three to five years (not by Michael White)? We can debate the distinction, of course, but I note that Betony keeps all entrees under $40. That's what I'm thinking of (although I'm not concerned about outliers like a fancy steak for two).

• Like 1
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I guess I could hide this on a number of other threads, but it might get more of a run as a separate topic.   Sparked by thinking about Betony. How many upscale, but not super high-end openings have

Time flies. I was staggered to note that Public is ten years old.

Ai Fiore

Aldea (2009?)

Brushstroke

Carbone

Colicchio & Sons

Juni

Lincoln

Maialino

The Mark

Mas (la grillade)

Minetta Tavern

Monkey Bar

Neta

NoMad

North End Grill

Piora

Recette

Riverpark

Tamarind - Tribeca

Very good list, thanks. Michael White surely has more, but I was trying to exclude his little empire. Personally I don't think of Recette or Mas (la grillade) as upscale, but I guess we all draw slightly different lines.

Didn't the Carbone people open a Raw Bar? Never seen it, but that might qualify.

On the high end I left off:

Atera

Bouley

Brooklyn Fare

Jungsik

Torrisi

Oh - also that Spanish Neuro-surgeon restaurant, depending on where you slot that in.

I will be my usual tiresome (and ignored) self and ask you to define "upscale, but not super high-end." The debate will be endless as always because there is no consensus on definition. Price range? Tablecloth/Chilewich/bare tabletop? Cuisine type(s)? Serving style (tasting menu/small plates)?

It's like giving out stars but not revealing the criteria on which they're based.