Cocina Azul at Hotel Azul

This is the restaurant at my hotel. It, too, claims an affiliation with the international (Italian) "Slow Food Movement" (I have no idea what that actually means).

Breakfasts were uniformly excellent. I had dinner there the last night I was in town, pending an early awakening to make a stupidly early flight home.

This is a very good restaurant. Another solid entry in the "upscale(ish) Oaxacan cuisine" derby.

Preparations peek around the traditional. Ingredients are better than they have to be. Kitchen technique is sound.

I don't know that I'd send anyone here who wasn't staying here. But I'd tell anyone staying here to have no compunctions about using the restaurant.

NB: The wine list, which DOESN'T fasten on Mexican wines, is one of the most intelligent I've seen here. Why not have a glass of Podere Montalcino Rosso with a lightly spiced pork dish?

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

NYTimes has a guide to the city...     Travel section  

And I want to thank you for getting back with us and letting us know how it went.   All too often, folks give advice and recommendations and suggestions...   And then never hear nuttin'.   Fr

I'm not surprised. I think the whole Rancho Gordo thing is a scam. Mexico has pinto beans, black beans, and green beans. All these other things Rancho is selling are synthetic. Just wait.

Same. The really good ones are great neat and the lesser ones make terrific cocktails with a strong hit of smoke. Been living on mezcal, luxardo orange, dried chiles, a splash of blood orange juice and lime juice.

agree. love mezcal.

Sneak - gotta seize the opportunity! but at least you have a reason to go back sooner rather than later... now i'm really curious about the Pechuga

What's the difference between pavo and guajolote?

I've seen them both listed in different dishes on the same menu.

They're the same animal (although of course pavo can be pavo real too). I think it depends on the origin (and therefore the name) of the dish.

Yeah, pavo is Spanish Spanish, guajolote is local (Aztec-derived, apparently).

There's really a cocktail called "Breast"? :blink:

It's not a cocktail. It's a kind of Mezcal. It's filtered through a chicken breast. (I am not kidding.)

According to Cooper, the collaboration began last Spring, when Garcia was visiting the Mexican village of Santa Catarina Minas, where Del Maguey’s Pechuga variety is made. Pechuga notably differs from other mezcals under the Del Maguey umbrella for one significant quirk in the distillation process, whereby a chicken breast hangs from strings in the atmosphere of the still. The meat marinates in the vapors, lending the varietal its distinguishable flavoring through condensation.

Now, instead of the dangling poultry, the mezcal maker has been using chunks of the jamón ibérico. The switch from chicken breast to hog leg has produced a more “masculine” flavored mezcal, Cooper says. “It makes the Pechuga seem very feminine.”

The full story.