College Football 2014

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you thought Super Bowl tickets were pricey, check out the College Football Playoff Title Game prices.

Hockey is very much a fringe college sport in the US. I'm not even sure the finals make it a mainstream cable pay station.   I also don't know if the programs make money. I don't think the end game

also I suspect Title IX becomes a huge huge deal in all of this.

• 2 months later...

I knew the hearing report was in the works, but I didn't know the United Steelworkers were behind it.

Wall Street Journal:

In his ruling, Mr. Ohr outlined in great detail the significant responsibilities the team's 85 scholarship players must meet to maintain their scholarships. Players are required to disclose to their coaches the cars they drive, abide by a strict social-media policy and are prohibited from denying a coach's friend request on social media. Their activities are controlled nearly all day between August and January, and to a lesser extent during the offseason as well.

For the 2012-13 academic year, Northwestern's football program generated $30.1 million in revenue and about $22 million in expenses. Overseeing the team are 25 administrators, coaches and assistants, who determine everything from when the players study to what they wear on game days and where they live.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303325204579463650558954652?mod=WSJ_hp_EditorsPicks&mg=reno64-wsj

5k a year is quite silly. I went to a big sports school and don't understand the point of it at all except to, maybe, maybe, make some old people feel better about themselves.

Evelyn, what's your preferred situation? I used to think getting rid of "college" sports was the way but now I'm coming around to making "college" sports some kind of farm system. It's all already there -- the stadiums, fan base, etc., just have to pay the players.

5k a year is quite silly. I went to a big sports school and don't understand the point of it at all except to, maybe, maybe, make some old people feel better about themselves.

Evelyn, what's your preferred situation? I used to think getting rid of "college" sports was the way but now I'm coming around to making "college" sports some kind of farm system. It's all already there -- the stadiums, fan base, etc., just have to pay the players.

Yup. That IS the purpose. People have to make reservations to land their private jets at places like South Bend (Ann Arbor, State College, etc) years ahead of major football, basketball, etc events.

The University hopes some of these people will donate buildings etc down the road...

I'm going to have to do this answer in two parts-heading to the airport shortly and will add to it and clean it up while I wait for my connection in LA. There's so much more to this whole thing.

First, I am against the Union.

But, the NCAA has failed college athletes in so many ways by being insular and 'behind the times' it made this possible. A little background, and something to think about before I go deeper-and these aren't firm numbers-just ball park for now. I'll be more exact later. First off, a four year athletic scholarship is really not a 4 year free ride. It is a four year, yearly renewable contract. It includes the room, to some degree meals and some (but not all) books and incidentals. If an athlete doesn't meet the terms of the contract after a year, the school does not have to renew it.The student can still have the academic portion of the scholarship. But no room and no meals-school 'only'. The 'gap' between what the athletic scholarship pays for and what the actual cost of attendance is varies. I think the last number I saw for UA was +/- $5000. Saban has been a proponent of increasing the stipend for athletes for years. And, I have been banging the same drum since I was in college and working in the athletic department. But, it is also a case of the big schools vs the small schools and the ability to 'afford' upping the stipends.

That's a start...but, I've got to head out....much more to come.

I think that the farm system will be subsumed into the schools for football and basketball.

I do wonder what this will do to sports with concurrent farm systems - hockey and baseball.

You mean as feeder system or farm system?

I know it wont do much of anything for hockey. Majority of players still come from Canada, well established junior leagues with lots of history, lower level junior leagues that pay no stipend which allows them to play for NCAA teams. Players can be drafter while NCAA players and not lose eligibility until a contract is signed with the team. Teams like NCAA players as it give them more time before they have to sign them and control the number of contracts on the books.

The farm system is well established. Players also have the option to play overseas with good comp and quality of life.

I think that the farm system will be subsumed into the schools for football and basketball.

I do wonder what this will do to sports with concurrent farm systems - hockey and baseball.

You mean as feeder system or farm system?

I know it wont do much of anything for hockey. Majority of players still come from Canada, well established junior leagues with lots of history, lower level junior leagues that pay no stipend which allows them to play for NCAA teams. Players can be drafter while NCAA players and not lose eligibility until a contract is signed with the team. Teams like NCAA players as it give them more time before they have to sign them and control the number of contracts on the books.

The farm system is well established. Players also have the option to play overseas with good comp and quality of life.

Feeder. Minor leagues.

The hockey model is very interesting. The question is what it does to Canadian junior if a US school can pay for a player. Do you necessarily go play for London if you can make more at BC (hypothetically)?

Teams favor CHL players because schedule length and rules are closer to the NHL. CHL players receive a stipend (amount depends on the team but nothing major) + scholarship to a Canadian university based on number of years in the CHL.They can also play at that Canadian university after they are done.

The only thing that would really affect a player is if the payment at a US school would be high enough to discourage them away. There are only a few schools that might think it viable for a few players (Michigan, Michigan St., UND, Minn, maybe BC and BU). Thing is, some CHL teams make enough money that they could bid for those players. Right now, CHL teams give more perks and allows it to poach US players that are not academically minded. Never mind the fact that with the KHL, Canadian juniors could, technically, sign a year early and make very good money in Russia. In Finland and Sweden, top prospects often play on the mens top level league at 16 and get payed accordingly. An example in Russia was Kuznetsov, who only came over at 21, because he made, I think 1m per year over the last 3 years. Close to what he would make on an entry level contract, without bonuses.

This is not accounting for the fact that players get drafted at 18, and can play in the league that same year. In other words, similar to kids going from HS to NBA in the past. Players usually take the NCAA route if they need more skills(late bloomer) or physical development (6'4 175 lbs) before they are NHL ready.