• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

élan 43 East 20th Street (Park Avenue South) Flatiron     http://ny.eater.com/archives/2014/02/david_waltuck_to_open_elan_in_former_veritas_space.php

Right, that's a good analogy.

now that's MFF quality pedantry!!

That's part of what's so bothersome about it.

When the Waltucks first opened Chanterelle, a big deal was made that they didn't call it "Le Chanterelle", just "Chanterelle".

"Why should we put in the 'Le'?" they said. "We're American."

So, "elan"?

Comparable. Times have moved.

(That's what came to be the problem with Chanterelle.)

Do you think the cooking at elan is outdated?

(Although I'm in the camp that disagrees that great, classic cooking can suddenly become a bad idea.)

Just because I was called out: I see nothing wrong with this place a priori. Not that anyone cares, but if there's going to be an upper midrange, big build out place, better someone like waltuck than most others.

Waltuck is nice old-fashioned, not gross old-fashioned, because he hasn't been on television.

But thanks for the report, Sneak.

Yes, the name. Like, choose a rather silly name which will be pronounced in weird ways, and then kick it "up a notch" by putting it all in lower case.

The sylph-like bit reminds me of a recent restaurant experience I had when I asked my server to open a bottle of wine. She did. She poured me a glass and then took the bottle away. Not, like, to keep it somewhere she could pour it for me. I mean, away.

Obviously someone of my angelic demeanour would not contemplate drinking a full bottle of wine.

Do you think the cooking at elan is outdated?

(Although I'm in the camp that disagrees that great, classic cooking can suddenly become a bad idea.)

It's not exactly classic. That's the problem. It's a style that was modern in the '70s.

BUT he puts back in a lot of the butter and cream that the nouvelle cuisine guys took out.

It's also been superseded technically. If you see what the plates look like, you'll see what I mean.

But it's very delicious.

I know I'm late to the game but the idea that coffee is free (and appreciated as such) at Per Se while you pay a $50 supplement for a napkin is great. (And I don't see why coffee should be free)

Waltuck is nice old-fashioned, not gross old-fashioned, because he hasn't been on television.

But thanks for the report, Sneak.

Yes, gross TV chefs like Chang, Ripert and Robuchon.

There are no other differences between Waltuck and Flay.

I know I'm late to the game but the idea that coffee is free (and appreciated as such) at Per Se while you pay a $50 supplement for a napkin is great. (And I don't see why coffee should be free)

No longer late cause this thread is now in Extra Time.