Noosa Yogurt

oddly, reading the thread after most of the shouting had happened i had no trouble following cstuart's position. indeed, it was wilfrid's responses to it that seemed obtuse/legalistic.

cstuart: yoghurt should not need to have additives added to it; fage, for instance, does not.

wilfrid: furnishes list of yoghurt ingredients that demonstrates cstuart's point: that fage does not add stuff to its yoghurt while noosa does.

cstuart: and your point is?

wilfrid: insists cstuart is failing to read. position seems to later change to "everyone has some additives in packaging that also contains yoghurt".

i am available to provide executive summaries of other threads as well.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know we were discussing this last week, but the search engine can't find it (nor can Google).   Just wanted to mention it's now being stocked by Duane Reade. For anyone who hasn't tried it, it's a

I just Googled Noosa to find some on-line reviews and it seems like the entire blogging world was sent free samples last year. No one blogging seems to be noticing the somewhat unique ingredients.

Australians, at least, can read.

Mongo, I post this:

Fage strawberry:

Grade A Pasteurized Milk and Cream, Live Active Yogurt Cultures (L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus, L. Acidophilus, Bifidus, L. Casei). STRAWBERRY FRUIT PREPARATION (20%): Strawberries, Cane Sugar, Water, Corn Starch, Contains 2% or less of: Strawberry Juice Concentrate, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Natural Flavors, Xanthan Gum.

Noosa strawberry/rhubarb:

Grade A Pasteurized Milk, Live Active Cultures: S. Thermophilus, L. Bulgaricus, L. Acidophilus, Bifidus, and L. Casei. Fruit Purée (Rhubarb, Sugar, Strawberries, Pectin, Locust Bean Gum, Fruit and Vegetable Juice, Lemon Juice Concentrate), Grade A Cream, Grade A Skim Milk, Cane Sugar, Honey, Grade A Milk Protein, Kosher Gelatin, Organic Agar, Pectin,

...and then I later change my position to "everyone has some additives in packaging that also contains yoghurt"?

You surely see the difficulty I am having here.

Mongo, I post this:

Fage strawberry:

Grade A Pasteurized Milk and Cream, Live Active Yogurt Cultures (L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus, L. Acidophilus, Bifidus, L. Casei). STRAWBERRY FRUIT PREPARATION (20%): Strawberries, Cane Sugar, Water, Corn Starch, Contains 2% or less of: Strawberry Juice Concentrate, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Natural Flavors, Xanthan Gum.

Noosa strawberry/rhubarb:

Grade A Pasteurized Milk, Live Active Cultures: S. Thermophilus, L. Bulgaricus, L. Acidophilus, Bifidus, and L. Casei. Fruit Purée (Rhubarb, Sugar, Strawberries, Pectin, Locust Bean Gum, Fruit and Vegetable Juice, Lemon Juice Concentrate), Grade A Cream, Grade A Skim Milk, Cane Sugar, Honey, Grade A Milk Protein, Kosher Gelatin, Organic Agar, Pectin,

...and then I later change my position to "everyone has some additives in packaging that also contains yoghurt"?

You surely see the difficulty I am having here.

well, wilfrid, this thing that you posted demonstrates cstuart's original point: that fage does not add additives to its yoghurt, only to its fruit puree. if you indeed agreed with him, why did you feel the need to post this as rebuttal and constantly refer him back to it?

His original point? Agree with him?

I demonstrate cstuart's point by posting that before he had made the point, and I'm the guy who's being obtuse?

How about:

cstuart, since Wilfrid had already said this, did you think it might be confusing to keep barking at him as if he was wrong?

here is the sequence:

1. cstuart voices scepticism about high-end yogurts that need additives whereas fage at their scale do not.

2. you respond directly to him with an ingredients list for fage and noosa which seems (and this is confirmed by your subsequent referrals to it) to be intended to demonstrate that fage also uses additives (xanthan gum, to noosa's agar, pectin, whatever).

3. cstuart points out that the xanthan gum in fage's yogurt ingredients list is only used for the fruit puree, whereas this is not true for noosa.

now, perhaps you missed this point when reading the ingredients list* but i don't really understand why there was any further argument past this point, except that this is mouthfuls where arguments are only about the issues for the first page or two and then about the people involved for the next 45 pages.

*as mitchells points out, it's an easy point to miss, and i don't know that i would have caught it either if cstuart hadn't pointed it out.

If Wilfrid was directly comparing Fage's yogurt ingredients to Noosa's I'm a donkey (and Australian). It's as clear now as it was when it happened.

They were out of Fage (but not Noosa) last night so I went with Straus which probably worked better with our meal of leftover takeout rice and naan with Cauliflower cooked in tomato chutney (randomly found my handwritten recipe from Suvir's post on egullet way back when).

You didn't start at beginning.

#8 Suzanne offers the example of Noosa Lemon yogurt, and complains about (indeed highlights) four ingredients, two in the fruit puree, two in the yogurt. There's brief discussion, including at #13, SLB--quite evidently on one of the fruit puree ingredients

#15, cstuart: "Really though, I'm also suspect of a "high end" yogurt which includes all of that stuff. Yogurt = milk/cream and cultures. If Fage can do it at their scale." Nobody has been discussing plain yogurt at this point.

#16 I give examples of ingredient lists from two more fruit yogurts.

I grant that cstuart's point eventually emerged, but it did no more than confirm what had already been posted. Yet I am obtuse.

BTW, did cstuart ever make your point 3., clearly and succinctly? If he did--how much later?

here is the sequence:

1. cstuart voices scepticism about high-end yogurts that need additives whereas fage at their scale do not.

2. you respond directly to him with an ingredients list for fage and noosa which seems (and this is confirmed by your subsequent referrals to it) to be intended to demonstrate that fage also uses additives (xanthan gum, to noosa's agar, pectin, whatever).

3. cstuart points out that the xanthan gum in fage's yogurt ingredients list is only used for the fruit puree, whereas this is not true for noosa.

now, perhaps you missed this point when reading the ingredients list* but i don't really understand why there was any further argument past this point, except that this is mouthfuls where arguments are only about the issues for the first page or two and then about the people involved for the next 45 pages.

*as mitchells points out, it's an easy point to miss, and i don't know that i would have caught it either if cstuart hadn't pointed it out.

If Wilfrid was directly comparing Fage's yogurt ingredients to Noosa's I'm a donkey (and Australian). It's as clear now as it was when it happened.

They were out of Fage (but not Noosa) last night so I went with Straus which probably worked better with our meal of leftover takeout rice and naan with Cauliflower cooked in tomato chutney (randomly found my handwritten recipe from Suvir's post on egullet way back when).

If you couldn't perceive that I was comparing two fruit yogurts, as my post clearly says, following complaints about the ingredients in Noosa fruit yogurts, then I accept your self-characterisation.