Sign in to follow this  
Peter Creasey

Yogurt helpful for digestive issues?

The Fage 2% Greek Yogurt seems to be regarded as helpful for digestive issues, including gastritis.

Is anyone aware of any documentation/opinions of this fact?

Is there another yogurt that is recommended for gastritis-type issues?

[EDITED TO ADD] The yogurt promoted by Jamie Lee Curtis for digestion is reputed to be false advertising.

I don't know if yogurt does anything for digestive issues in the normal course of events, but it's a good idea to eat some every day when taking antibiotics to help maintain the beneficial bacteria that would otherwise be destroyed along with the disease-causing organisms.

Is gastritis particularly rare in Australia?

It's from all the artificial flavorings in their wine.

There are various mechanisms of action offered for live culture food products, but last I read about it the consensus was that you have to keep consuming them very regularly or your own bacteria just take over very rapidly. (sorry, I didn't read the stories linked above yet). Of course such regular consumption could have some disadvantages, such as offsetting benefits you might enjoy from the anti-oxidants found in red wine or green tea.

(snip)

There are various mechanisms of action offered for live culture food products, but last I read about it the consensus was that you have to keep consuming them very regularly or your own bacteria just take over very rapidly. (sorry, I didn't read the stories linked above yet). Of course such regular consumption could have some disadvantages, such as offsetting benefits you might enjoy from the anti-oxidants found in red wine or green tea.

Yogurt is also an excellent source of calcium and protein. And, don't forget those Armenian (Azeri?) sheep herders who live to age 120 and eat yogurt every day.

Is gastritis particularly rare in Australia?

It's from all the artificial flavorings in their wine.

There are various mechanisms of action offered for live culture food products, but last I read about it the consensus was that you have to keep consuming them very regularly or your own bacteria just take over very rapidly.

O, On your first point, not hard to believe given all the artificial goings-on (read: manipulations) with Australian wines.

As for your second point, there does seem to be a consensus that consumption must continue...which contention I hope can be discredited somehow (perhaps here?).

It's unlikely to be refuted - these bacteria can survive for a couple of days post ingestion but not much longer, and in any event it's unlikely that their consumption will have a particularly dramatic health benefits. The effects from consuming a dairy product are likely to dominate.

One special case is the one pointed out by Lippy, where they serve as a temporary replacement for bacteria killed by the use of antibiotics.

More here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probiotic

RP - I thought they lived that long because of their other sheep related activities.

Studies are examining whether probiotics affect mechanisms of intestinal inflammation, diarrhea, urogenital infections or allergies. Through 2012, however, in all cases proposed as health claims to the European Food Safety Authority, the scientific evidence remains insufficient to prove a cause and effect relationship between consumption of probiotic products and any health benefit.

O, this would seem to be discouraging to my hope that probiotics and/or yogurt might help stabilize the (re)generation of natural bacteria.

Fortunately, the thought of continuing to take probiotics/yogurt is not totally unacceptable (if it's indeed necessary).

Studies are examining whether probiotics affect mechanisms of intestinal inflammation, diarrhea, urogenital infections or allergies. Through 2012, however, in all cases proposed as health claims to the European Food Safety Authority, the scientific evidence remains insufficient to prove a cause and effect relationship between consumption of probiotic products and any health benefit.

O, this would seem to be discouraging to my hope that probiotics and/or yogurt might help stabilize the (re)generation of natural bacteria.

Fortunately, the thought of continuing to take probiotics/yogurt is not totally unacceptable (if it's indeed necessary).

Peter, just eat a few spoonfuls of Fage with local honey drizzled on top every morning. You'll like it; your gut will like it; and MF will love you. (just don't f with the n, please)

How about these probiotic pills people are taking nowadays? Bunk, right?

S, The Flora Udo's Choice Adult Probiotics capsules get high marks from a lot of people.