Sign in to follow this  
Wilfrid1

Essex Street Market

Following up on our speculation about whether Jeffrey's closure signaled deeper problems, there is indeed something stirring about moving the market.

There's a petition already.

I believe we talked about this on another Jeffrey's related thread. The move wouldn't be for years, and is realted to redevloping that strip across Delancey.

What is that in English? ;)

hey - you ever type on a phone?

Which of Pain D'Avignon's products do you like? I have been extremely underwhelmed by the breads from them I have gotten at WF.

The plain baguettes, all sizes. I get them a couple of times a week. Very fresh and crunchy. Is WF keeping the stuff hanging around too long?

Which of Pain D'Avignon's products do you like? I have been extremely underwhelmed by the breads from them I have gotten at WF.

I like their cranberry walnut loaf for sure. I think I like their baguette - but am sort of blanking. I've not had something from them I thought was remarkably bad.

However - I don't think they are as good as Sullivan St.

The plain baguettes, all sizes. I get them a couple of times a week. Very fresh and crunchy. Is WF keeping the stuff hanging around too long?

No, I think it may be that the stuff is packaged in plastic which I think the kiss of death for bread. I can usually get Sullivan Street stirato or pane pugliese (wrapped in paper)at WF but have gotten a boule-like thing from Pain D'Avignon a couple of times.

No, I think it may be that the stuff is packaged in plastic which I think the kiss of death for bread. I can usually get Sullivan Street stirato or pane pugliese (wrapped in paper)at WF but have gotten a boule-like thing from Pain D'Avignon a couple of times.

Side note - Ziploc Produce Bags are the best thing I've found for storing crusty breads for a few days after purchase, particularly if you refrigerate the bread & bring it back to room temp before serving. The perforations seem to keep the textures of the crust & inside of the loaf in balance. Loaf size may be an issue, of course.

These bags were discontinued for many years but, I've just learned, were reintroduced in 2009.

Airtight plastic = kiss of death, I agree.

Following up on our speculation about whether Jeffrey's closure signaled deeper problems, there is indeed something stirring about moving the market.

There's a petition already.

I believe we talked about this on another Jeffrey's related thread. The move wouldn't be for years, and is realted to redevloping that strip across Delancey.

What is that in English? ;)

hey - you ever type on a phone?

Um, no. Like Sneak, I have a stupid phone.

The large, central stall in the market, occupied by the Ruhalter butcher family since 1939, and closed for some months now since Jeffrey, scion of the family, was unable to meat his lease commitments, had a new tenant.

The "grand opening" hadn't happened when I passed through on Saturday morning, but Heritage Meats is moving in and already displaying chalk boards listing its wares.

Among the wares, Roberta's bread. I think that's what we can dare a signifier of what is to come. A splendid stall it might turn out to be, but we have to remember replaced a real old-style butcher with a faux old-style butcher, quick to tip its cap to hipster central.

Of course, Roberta's bread might soon be wiped off the chalk board, as the restaurant runs out all the time.

The large, central stall in the market, occupied by the Ruhalter butcher family since 1939, and closed for some months now since Jeffrey, scion of the family, was unable to meat his lease commitments, had a new tenant.

The "grand opening" hadn't happened when I passed through on Saturday morning, but Heritage Meats is moving in and already displaying chalk boards listing its wares.

Among the wares, Roberta's bread. I think that's what we can dare a signifier of what is to come. A splendid stall it might turn out to be, but we have to remember replaced a real old-style butcher with a faux old-style butcher, quick to tip its cap to hipster central.

Of course, Roberta's bread might soon be wiped off the chalk board, as the restaurant runs out all the time.

my level of price elasticity is quite low when it comes to food. Meat and Fish especially. I find Heritage Meats prices shocking.

ETA: A trip to florence meat market on saturday reminded me I'm a total schmuck for not using them more. Good prices, great service, good meat. Sure its conventional stuff, and I think I prefer some of the greenmarket vendors who grow better eating breeds - but when you can't depend on flying pigs to have pork chops at 9 AM on a saturday it begins to lose its appeal as a vendor. To Wilf's point about the qualities of real old style butchers.

Louis was still there in July leaving at least one old school butcher in the market, although his quality wasn't as good as Jeffery. I wonder how much Jeffery was the victim of demographics. Louis retained the Latino market as the neighborhood gentrified while Jeffery lost his old contingency. While the gentrification crowd may claim that they want authenticity, part of me thinks that Jeffery wasn't sanitized enough for them. I think it's illustrative that Jeffery finally closed when the Murray Hillification of the neighborhood reached its apex.

As an aside, his price for aged prime was shockingly low. I don't think Heritage Meats will match for some reason.

Louis was still there in July leaving at least one old school butcher in the market, although his quality wasn't as good as Jeffery. I wonder how much Jeffery was the victim of demographics. Louis retained the Latino market as the neighborhood gentrified while Jeffery lost his old contingency. While the gentrification crowd may claim that they want authenticity, part of me thinks that Jeffery wasn't sanitized enough for them. I think it's illustrative that Jeffery finally closed when the Murray Hillification of the neighborhood reached its apex.

As an aside, his price for aged prime was shockingly low. I don't think Heritage Meats will match for some reason.

I would sort of be surprised if they are even going to sell aged stuff.