Sign in to follow this  
Really Nice!

Cryoblanching... Anyone try this?

Cryoblanching... Anyone try this? Anyone hear of this? Bueller? Bueller?

I picked up a 300 Series Chamber Vacuum Sealer today from Polyscience. (It's nice having them just 10 minutes away so I can save on shipping this 50+ lb thing.)

The first test was compressed cucumber with anise seed. After peeling the cucumber, I sliced it about 1/2-inch thick and then sprinkled salt and anise seed over it and let it sit for 30 minutes. Did a full vacuum on it. It was pretty interesting, something I could see doing as an amuse for catering.

While searching the Index of the Internet (Google) for ideas for compressed vegetables I stumbled upon a technique called cryoblanching.

The idea is that after you vacuum seal a vegetable you freeze it, thaw it, freeze it, thaw it, freeze it, and thaw it.

Supposedly the thawing and freezing of the ice crystals give bright color with the texture of something that's been traditionally blanched, but without cooking it and losing all the nutrients.

There's a couple of blogs about it here and here, and it's also mentioned in Ideas in Food. "This technique allows us to truly highlight the flavor of the vegetables in their uncooked state in ways that we never could before."

Anyone try this? Anyone hear of this?

• Like 5