Eater Announces Their Restaurant Critics

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On the plus side, at least Nick hasn't been caught ordering pizza from Domino's.

i do like helen rosner's suggestion that associating with neo-nazi types and promulgating extreme racist ideologies in your youth is a sin on par with shoplifting. personally, i don't think this saga

Capital New York has an overview of forthcoming changes to the Eater site:     I can't help but chuckle at the words "relic" and "turn of the century". It wasn't that long ago. You'd think they're

What Sutton means to say is that Pasquale Jones is the expansion of the trendy small plates esthetic to pizza. (Does he not know that Franny's did this more than 10 years ago? Has he never seen that remarkable wine list?)

The broad wine list available by the half-bottle is a very old idea, too. And there's a false dichotomy in his assumptions:

If you're taking the financial leap to sample a skin-contract orange wine for the first time — perhaps a Fontanasanta Manzoni Bianco, a luscious cross between a pinot bianco and a riesling — do you want it paired with an avant-garde creation with foams and flowers? Or do you want it paired with a pork and onion pie at Pasquale Jones?

I see. If I'm not at a pizzeria, then I must be at an avant-garde restaurant with foams and flowers.

Fair points.

I'm not sure I want to try any wine for the first time with a pork and onion pie. The dichotomy is indeed silly: it's between food which is wine friendly and food which isn't, not between traditional and avant garde.

It's not like the only thing on Noreetuh's menu is the spam ravioli.

Franny's doesn't only serve pizza. As our departed friend sfjoe would remind us, some people don't even go to restaurants for the food. :D

What Sutton means to say is that Pasquale Jones is the expansion of the trendy small plates esthetic to pizza. (Does he not know that Franny's did this more than 10 years ago? Has he never seen that remarkable wine list?)

The broad wine list available by the half-bottle is a very old idea, too. And there's a false dichotomy in his assumptions:

If you're taking the financial leap to sample a skin-contract orange wine for the first time — perhaps a Fontanasanta Manzoni Bianco, a luscious cross between a pinot bianco and a riesling — do you want it paired with an avant-garde creation with foams and flowers? Or do you want it paired with a pork and onion pie at Pasquale Jones?

I see. If I'm not at a pizzeria, then I must be at an avant-garde restaurant with foams and flowers.

Fair points.

I'm not sure I want to try any wine for the first time with a pork and onion pie. The dichotomy is indeed silly: it's between food which is wine friendly and food which isn't, not between traditional and avant garde.

What makes pizza especially not wine friendly?

I wasn't going to post the comment when I saw it, because we've all seemingly moved on, but I noticed that Eater deleted a nasty remark that someone left on Solares's recent BABBQ post. Not surprised, as it was an insult (about committing a hate crime) and not a criticism. I only mention it because I was curious if there would be any backlash to his return and got my answer.

Also re: wine and pizza -- of course yes. Still on the fence about spam, though.

• Like 1

I was curious if there would be any backlash to his return and got my answer.

Comments like that are probably going to follow him around for the rest of his career; certainly, for many years to come.

As long as neo-Nazi bands are still giving him shout outs and happy birthday wishes on stage, and covering his songs, and people are still buying YDL records, that's perhaps the price to be paid.

intern, vox media summer 2016

wrote script that monitors a major food aggregator's website for negative comments regarding senior editor's role in the white power movement, wrote script that blocks newly registered social media accounts etc etc etc.