Eater Announces Their Restaurant Critics

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While you all have been debating this for pages and pages, I shorted all the burger restaurants in NYC.

i do like helen rosner's suggestion that associating with neo-nazi types and promulgating extreme racist ideologies in your youth is a sin on par with shoplifting. personally, i don't think this saga

Capital New York has an overview of forthcoming changes to the Eater site:     I can't help but chuckle at the words "relic" and "turn of the century". It wasn't that long ago. You'd think they're

Look, I'm not saying it wouldn't be far preferable if the language were more inclusive.  I'm just saying that in their rush to get something back on the books they could enforce, you can't totally fault them for not going into deep research and rewriting to accommodate the expansion of local dining habits.  If you look at the materials, it's clear what's permitted at ALL kinds of places.

11 hours ago, small h said:

Not least because it assumes that the people who own restaurants that don't serve sandwiches and wings are so dumbass they can't figure out how to apply these guidelines to the food they do serve. B-b-but...how many jianbing = 1 salad? So confused!

Not to worry, a jianbing is the answer to a sandwich and therefore the equivalent of a sandwich.

https://www.grubstreet.com/2016/03/jian-bing-in-nyc.html

And of course the state has already addressed the issue of pita sandwiches and wraps, and taxes those as sandwiches, so falafel is all good and jianbing enjoys extra protection.

The simple way to have approached this was to prohibit serving alcohol to people who are not seated.  Yes, that would have discriminated against some bars which don't have anywhere to put seats, but it would have solved the problem this ridiculous food regulation is trying to address.

A bar near me said I had to order food, and a bag of chips wasn't enough. What they do have on their menu are $5 servings of charcuterie, which are about as much a meal as a bag of chips. 

As for Sietsema: "It implies an archaic idea of bar food, and specifies a narrow range of Eurocentric choices. No tacos? No suya? No falafel? No chaats? No empanadas? No jianbing?" Honestly, I think the overwhelming majority of bars in the city share precisely that "archaic" idea of bar food. 

2 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

The simple way to have approached this was to prohibit serving alcohol to people who are not seated.  Yes, that would have discriminated against some bars which don't have anywhere to put seats, but it would have solved the problem this ridiculous food regulation is trying to address.

Being seated is a requirement as well. I think the SLA in its great wisdom was trying to make things easier for restaurants by reducing the food requirements to those of a tavern.

Right, but getting people sat down and spaced out addresses the health concern. Forcing them to eat is irrelevant.

I was enjoying stopping by McSorley's for a quick beer in the hot weather. I do not require their cheese plate.

The cheese and cracker platter at McSorley's Old Ale House

12 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

As for Sietsema: "It implies an archaic idea of bar food, and specifies a narrow range of Eurocentric choices. No tacos? No suya? No falafel? No chaats? No empanadas? No jianbing?" Honestly, I think the overwhelming majority of bars in the city share precisely that "archaic" idea of bar food. 

1. Whither the mention of izakayas in Sietsema's supposedly inclusive list of bar food? Maybe I've been indoors so long that I haven't noticed that suya was suddenly ubiquitous and edamame had disappeared altogether.

2. I did not know that chicken wings were European in origin. But I'm not great at geography - maybe Buffalo is in Finland.

20 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

Right, but getting people sat down and spaced out addresses the health concern. Forcing them to eat is irrelevant.

Even the rules for drinks to go stipulated there needs to be food included with each drink purchase. Otherwise the entire SLA world would come crashing down as bars would suddenly be acting as liquor stores that are also allowed to sell beer, and then what's an off-premises license even worth anymore? 

I guess a good question here is why there is anything related to food and drink in the regulations at all vs just letting businesses operate in a way that's believed to be relatively safe, whatever they're selling.

I often like to put chips in my sandwich, is Cuomo ok with that?  I was at a bar the other day, they were selling dollar peanut butter sandwiches... The bartender had the nerve to end with, they are really good... I said, what is good about them, she said, you know, they are just like well made.   So, i took my dollar sandwich back to the table and it was white bread and skippy.. I was thinking, what kind of sandwich would they have said they didn't like.. By the way, the line was dirty, the beer was warm and the drinks were definitely not the brands they claimed to be... But, that was some sandwich.