Eater Announces Their Restaurant Critics

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds like it was a rice +2.

i think if the political views that someone in a public position once espoused (and may not have since acknowledged and repudiated) are of the "black britons should be repatriated" or "white power/pri

Capital New York has an overview of forthcoming changes to the Eater site:     I can't help but chuckle at the words "relic" and "turn of the century". It wasn't that long ago. You'd think they're

Posted Images

• 4 months later...

A breakthrough!

From Robert Sietsema's description of a Georgian restaurant:

the city’s best Georgian wine list, highlighting some very dry examples in addition to the semi-sweet bottles many fear (don’t fear them, sweet wine is becoming more appreciated lately).

It’s fine for an individual drinker not to like sweet wine.  But it’s unforgivable ignorance for a professional critic to make like sweet or off-dry wine has no place on a wine list — to express surprise when they show up — as Sietsema’s done in the past.  That just shows he’s unqualified to be a professional food writer (or at least to write professionally about wine). 

Or, to put it a way Sietsema could understand, what would he say if someone like Frank Bruni wrote in the Times, "WTF is up with this Ethiopian restaurant?  They didn't give me any utensils!"

1 hour ago, Sneakeater said:

It’s fine for an individual drinker not to like sweet wine.  But it’s unforgivable ignorance for a professional critic to make like sweet or off-dry wine has no place on a wine list — to express surprise when they show up — as Sietsema’s done in the past.  That just shows he’s unqualified to be a professional food writer (or at least to write professionally about wine). 

Agreed.

18 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

"WTF is up with this Ethiopian restaurant?  They didn't give me any utensils!"

Fun fact: In an earlier life, when I was mistress of the slush pile at a literary agency, I evaluated a manuscript that compared injera to dish towels. These are the things that stay with you.

My dear wife has likened injera to our kitchen sponges.  I won’t repeat how she views the food presentation.  We don’t go to Ethiopian places any more.

It's much more sponge-y than towel-y. But you also need to take the fermented-ness into account. I had a tomato ferment on me this week (and .. .ew!) , but so far, the sponges have remained pretty inoffensive, stink-wise.

I know that Sietsema isn't the most knowledgable of reviewers, but I still prefer him to Sutton's game of  "how many times can I use these words in each review": heady, imparts, "exhibits a level", tang, whisper, funk, powerful, etc...

22 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Or, to put it a way Sietsema could understand, what would he say if someone like Frank Bruni wrote in the Times, "WTF is up with this Ethiopian restaurant?  They didn't give me any utensils!"

Takes me back to that fun week when Sietsema asserted confidently that the Terroir wine list was fraudulent because a bar that small could not possibly store all those bottles. He got mad at me and then closed the comments. 🙂