Eater Announces Their Restaurant Critics

1 hour ago, bloviatrix said:

This reminds me of work someone did to demonstrate the extent to which college rankings are bullshit - they did a ranking of law schools and Princeton Law was very highly rated. Princeton doesn't have a law school.

Probably why they churn out better lawyers 😇.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While you all have been debating this for pages and pages, I shorted all the burger restaurants in NYC.

You must be pumped for Idi Amin's "How to cook everything"

Capital New York has an overview of forthcoming changes to the Eater site:     I can't help but chuckle at the words "relic" and "turn of the century". It wasn't that long ago. You'd think they're

Posted Images

5 hours ago, sweatshorts said:

I don't really consider Eater to be food journalism -- more like food news (as in events) and press releases.

this is exactly what it is - but the problem is a lot of what they do looks like reviews or other kinds of journalism if you don't know better.

1 hour ago, AaronS said:

this is exactly what it is - but the problem is a lot of what they do looks like reviews or other kinds of journalism if you don't know better.

Well Sutton calls everything he eats "heady", I think that counts as a review.

I saw the revival of Mark Morris's L'Allegro, il Pensaro ed il Moderato at BAM tonight.  And I'm happy to say that it's still the knockout entertainment/profound work of art it was 30 years ago.

At the beginning of intermission, a woman sitting behind me (even older than I am!) turned to her husband and said that the music (Handel) seemed very modern to her, not like it was written 400 years ago.  First, it was written 300 years ago, not 400 (if that makes a difference).  Second, it sounds exactly typical of the music of its time (if of an extremely high order).  What was she expecting?

The thing is, though, that I'm not here to rag on this random audience member.  To the contrary, I think it's just great that she expanded her horizons by exposing herself to something she obviously was unfamiliar with.  Who knows?  Maybe she'll develop a lifelong passion, as I did after a similar exposure to Baroque Music 40 years ago.

If, on the other hand, that remark had appeared in a professional review . . . .

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...