Eater Announces Their Restaurant Critics

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That reminds me, I should wash my workout clothes.

You must be pumped for Idi Amin's "How to cook everything"

Capital New York has an overview of forthcoming changes to the Eater site:     I can't help but chuckle at the words "relic" and "turn of the century". It wasn't that long ago. You'd think they're

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

The ignorance displayed by this paragraph is rather stunning:

New York City has always had a slew of well-known restaurants tucked away in hotels, like the speakeasyish Burger Joint at the Parker Meridien (now called the Thompson Hotel), or high-class Bemelmans at the Carlyle Hotel. But over the past couple of months in particular it feels like hotel openings that had been put off due to the pandemic are opening in droves.

(And no, I don't just mean that Bemelmans is the bar in the Carlyle, not the restaurant.)

New York City has always had a slew of well-known restaurants where you could buy and eat food cooked by someone else, like the Second Avenue Deli (formerly in the East Village but now in Midtown and the Upper East Side) or the high-class Club Macanudo.  But over the past couple of months in particular it feels like restaurant openings that had been put off due to the pandemic are opening in droves.

34 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

New York City has always had a slew of well-known restaurants where you could buy and eat food cooked by someone else, like the Second Avenue Deli (formerly in the East Village but now in Midtown and the Upper East Side)….

2nd Ave. Deli’s flagship is on 33rd off 3rd Ave. That’s Murray Hill, not Midtown. (It’s a short walk from our apartment a few blocks south.)

Eater as a whole has had a bad case of Sietsemaitis, just no longer bothering to fact check or even google anything. 

*Not to be too pompous*, but I was prodded to read the Koloman write up describing  a  "triple creme" souffle made with "Pleasant Ridge Cheddar".  I'm assuming the nuance was lost in translation, but as a former cheesemonger I know that Pleasant Ridge is an Alpine style cheese, not a cheddar, and nothing approaching a triple-creme.  I might enjoy a Brillat Savarin souffle dusted with Pleasant Ridge, but that ain't what they said and that ain't whats on the menu.

3 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Between that and Sarge's, Murray Hill is now like Deli Central!

For us, an embarrassment of deli riches as both are near our apartment. When we were eating at the restaurants, Sarge’s for their fatty pastrami, as well as for delivery since they have their own guys (we always order extra to take home to NJ); 2nd Ave. for knoblewurst (we occasionally buy half a ring to take back to NJ). We do have a good deli near our house, but the pastrami is Hebrew National first cut, i.e., no fat, so too dry. And they don’t have knoblewurst.