Sign in to follow this  
joethefoodie

Eater Announces Their Restaurant Critics

Will you rethink your position if Cherche Midi succeeds?

Yes, I will.

Have you ever stood on that corner? First of all, comparing it to Schiller's location, be it 10 years ago or today, is utterly ridiculous. Both cross streets at that SW corner are basically a highway. There's a bus stop directly in front. It's awful.

DBGB's is in the Avalon Chrystie complex, set back off Houston by a freaking garden.

If you wanted to sit outside, or in a large restaurant with its windows thrown open, which location would you choose?

I've been standing on that corner, on and off, for over twenty years. Do you see Whole Foods suffering? Did Pulino's struggle when Nate was in the kitchen? Wasn't there a line outside the door some nights?

Will you rethink your position if Cherche Midi succeeds?

Yes, I will.

No, no. Your move is "Of course not, it might succeed despite the poor location."

Have you learned nothing???

By the way, I'm not suggesting the restaurant failed because of the corner. I'm just saying that's perhaps the worst corner in NYC - for a restaurant.

Have you ever stood on that corner? First of all, comparing it to Schiller's location, be it 10 years ago or today, is utterly ridiculous. Both cross streets at that SW corner are basically a highway. There's a bus stop directly in front. It's awful.

DBGB's is in the Avalon Chrystie complex, set back off Houston by a freaking garden.

If you wanted to sit outside, or in a large restaurant with its windows thrown open, which location would you choose?

I've been standing on that corner, on and off, for over twenty years. Do you see Whole Foods suffering? Did Pulino's struggle when Nate was in the kitchen? Wasn't there a line outside the door some nights?

Once again, Whole Foods is not on that fucking corner.

Once again, Whole Foods is not on that fucking corner.

Oh the Whole Foods corner is far superior. Whatever.

Totally agree with Oakie on this one. Pulino's is right across the street from a massive Whole Foods, a step from the New Museum and god knows how many private galleries, right en route to night spots on the LES and Bowery (and the Bowery is a sleek strip these days), and as those photos show, it's much more visible than DBGB.

Will you rethink that position if Cherche Midi also fails? Yes, I know - plenty of restaurants fail. But this is another McNally joint. His success rate is *much* higher than the industry average. If he fails at the same location twice it will mean something.

Of course not. There are all kinds of reasons a restaurant can fail, and in this case it can't be location. :D

Oh good. I was hoping you wouldn't.

But then again, you seem to think the corner that Schiller's is on is similar.

How could I possibly think that? I certainly didn't say that. What a weird suggestion.

By the way, I'm not suggesting the restaurant failed because of the corner. I'm just saying that's perhaps the worst corner in NYC - for a restaurant.

What exactly did the Odeon site look like before Keith McNally colonized it? How about the Pastis site? I'm not talking about now, but when those places opened.

Keith's restaurants are meant to be destinations, and for a destination there is no streetcorner to which New Yorkers won't go. Look at the photos of Roberta's in Bushwick: it makes the Pulino's corner look like a rose garden.

This is not complicated. McNally panicked and fired Appleman after poor reviews, and after doing that, was left with an undistinguished cookie-cutter Italian place.

Googling Hunt's Point is a surprising experience.

On McNally:

"He was the first big name down here. He has opened restaurants where people didn't want to be." With McNally come crowds of customers, busy sidewalks, life after dark. "That's the true test of power: being able to change a community. A restaurateur can't do more than that."

http://www.pinkpignyc.com/at_the_sign_of_the_pink_p/2007/04/tides_and_dash_.html