Eater Announces Their Restaurant Critics

i do like helen rosner's suggestion that associating with neo-nazi types and promulgating extreme racist ideologies in your youth is a sin on par with shoplifting. personally, i don't think this saga will achieve full closure till she publishes an overwrought essay on the subject.

Such a shame that Solares associated with right-wing extremism instead of left-wing extremism, right?

thank you again for your valuable contribution.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While you all have been debating this for pages and pages, I shorted all the burger restaurants in NYC.

You must be pumped for Idi Amin's "How to cook everything"

Capital New York has an overview of forthcoming changes to the Eater site:     I can't help but chuckle at the words "relic" and "turn of the century". It wasn't that long ago. You'd think they're

Posted Images

But his employer really should have vetted him better.

And... then what? Not hired him? Make him issue an apology as soon as he signs on? What?

Eater is not all-powerful by any means, but the Solares story raises the question: Who is forming the identity of this industry? The people living in this city? The people cooking the food? The people serving us? Or the former skinhead assigning restaurant reviews?

Seriously? Pretty sure the monoculture at Eater has very little to do with Solares...

Yes, thank you as well for siding with the sort of people who pushed the inventor of JavaScript out of Mozilla because he held a mainstream conservative view.

Yes, thank you as well for siding with the sort of people who pushed the inventor of JavaScript out of Mozilla because he held a mainstream conservative view.

and that, my liege, is how we know the earth to be banana-shaped.

But his employer really should have vetted him better.

And... then what? Not hired him? Make him issue an apology as soon as he signs on? What?

I would think that a business like Eater would have understood that his past was a liability to the Eater brand and would have some sort of a plan around what message you want to deliver to the public and when.

And I'm guessing that the ideal plan wouldn't be: wait for a food message board to unearth his past, further wait until someone tips the media off, and then go silent.

he is a much better writer than on camera personality.. I thought that was really interesting.

Agreed, i really enjoyed his book and this article but the promo snippet of the show did not seem all that interesting. Very good article, although the title does it disservice.

it's an interesting piece. the eater folks seem to be back to their regular regimen of non-stop tweeting today (some of them were silent yesterday) which seems to suggest they're all completely over it. i guess solares has convinced them that the 2012 picture with a member of skrewdriver is not at odds with his claim that he disassociated himself from that world decades ago. in an interview published not long before that picture was taken, by the way, big merv shields of skrewdriver notes that while his politics have "mellowed" he regrets nothing about his past and would do it all the same way again. where was this interview published? on a far right blog/magazine of course.

Oh I done posted the NS Revolt link pages and pages back.

i do like helen rosner's suggestion that associating with neo-nazi types and promulgating extreme racist ideologies in your youth is a sin on par with shoplifting. personally, i don't think this saga will achieve full closure till she publishes an overwrought essay on the subject.

Such a shame that Solares associated with right-wing extremism instead of left-wing extremism, right?

He didn't say "right-wing extremism," he said "neo-nazi types" and those "promulgating extreme racist ideologies." I think Mongo would object to those specimens, left or right, as would I (and you should know that the historic fascist movement wasn't simply right wing, neither in Germany or Italy).

Have you been following the news from the UK about alleged left-wing anti-semitism?

Vetting: I've been vetted for each journalism position I've taken up in the United States. It can be quite a process. But I strongly doubt anyone looked into whether I supported or opposed right-wing thug rallies in the UK in the 1970s or '80s.

Have you been following the news from the UK about alleged left-wing anti-semitism?

If there is one thing that can bring the left and the right together, it's anti-semitism..

after years of quarreling about whether the beatles and the clash are overrated mouthfuls has finally achieved a moment of relevance. and all because we wondered why solares was wearing a shirt the way he was.

• Like 1