Sign in to follow this  
Stone

What's Your Music Setup?

I'm curious what people here use to listen to music at home. I'm actually more curious to know what the MFF Youngs use.

I grew up with a turntable, an integrated amp/receiver (although I didn't know that's what it was) and speakers.

Then I added a CD player.

Then I got rid of the CD player and moved to iTunes, streamed through Airport Express to my Integreated Amp.

Do most people still use the basic CD/Turntable -- Integrated Amp -- Speaker set up?

Are people putting together systems buying separate components, DACs, power amps?

Are people moving to full digital storage, dedicated music/media players/streamers, DACs, etc.?

What do most kids use today? A computer streaming service and a set of wireless jambox like speakers?

• Like 2

i have

NAD components: amp, cd, dvd, tuner

no turntable at the moment

apple tv

focal speakers

sonos components

I'm not a MFF Young, but....

I've got a CD(/universal) player, turntable, integrated amp (maybe I'll justify a pre-amp someday, but performance is pretty nice with my gear now), speakers (5 plus a hefty sub), and in the past few months was finally able to bridge my wired network over MoCA to have a wired connection across the apartment. Now most of my casual listening I do via streaming files from my computer through media servers. But for serious listening, I still fall back to CDs and SACDs and vinyl. I do have a growing collection of high-resolution audio files that I stream now too.

So yeah, my own setup and listening habits have definitely evolved. But I don't ever see ditching physical media.

You can tell I'm "old," because I must have five or six different set-ups, of varying antiquity.

What's changed, probably unsurprisingly, is that I listen on speakers plugged into a computer much more than on the multi-component "stereo system" these days.

Where are the MFF youngs? I'm really interested in the non-audiophile next generation.

that's what I want to know. Computer through DACs to an amp? Or just ear buds into the headphone jack of their computer.

You of course, have Carnegie Hall and Avery Fisher Hall.

When I feel like spending the money (i.e., perhaps never), I'm going to get an outboard power supply for my CD player.

mostly sonos (i have a broadcast app so i can run computer sound through sonos with a couple seconds delay). downstairs sonos is hooked to my own amp / speakers rather than theirs, old onkyo / camber stuff.

good headphones of various sizes and noise cancellation properties, only digital content. If I want really expensive tube amps I go to a bar.

eta: I'm tone deaf, so really not much of an example.

Very simple setup--CD player hooked up to a stereo receiver with surround sound (7 speakers + subwoofer). When I play music through the computer, I don't bother hooking it up to the receiver--I just use my small desktop speakers.