Sign in to follow this  
Stone

Kids These Days -- And their cell phones at concerts

Everyone is too busy documenting the moment instead of enjoying and experiencing the moment.

Louis CK does a funny bit on this. People watching events through their little 4 in screens taking pictures and videos instead of actually watching the event.

Just hit the pause button. Oh wait, did you mean going to the theater? I thought you meant watching on smaller electronics or big flat screen at home . . . I am not a kid, but I lurve watching films that I can pause and rewind.

Oops, posted on the wrong thread. :wacko:

Everyone is too busy documenting the moment instead of enjoying and experiencing the moment.

Louis CK does a funny bit on this. People watching events through their little 4 in screens taking pictures and videos instead of actually watching the event.

That's actually the way I view taking photos on vacations. I just stopped doing it many years ago. It's much better now.

But photos on vacation don't distract anyone else that might be on vacation.

At a concert, when every motherfucker in the place is holding up their smart phone and taking a picture/video, it gets really annoying. And trust me, those videos and pix they're taking - they pretty much all suck.

Some artists are trying to deal with it - Springsteen releases tons of high-def videos within a couple of days of a show (and they also now sell full show soundboards for $10).

That's actually the way I view taking photos on vacations. I just stopped doing it many years ago. It's much better now.

How are you going to remember what Michelangelo's David looks like if you don't take a photo?

I should note that at the techno/electronica show, one act, Robert Hencke, specifically asked the audience to turn off their cell phones during his set, as the phones would interfere with the significant visual element. And people complied. During the other set, though (by The Haxan Cloak) (which I thought was overwhelming, BTW), the phones were out and in use all the way through.

It's really pretty simple: "No Photography Allowed"

Simple in theory. I used to bring a real camera to shows, and have some pretty good pix to show for it. Taken discreetly, no flash, not bothering anyone, etc. Then I was entering a show, got stopped and told I couldn't bring a camera in. Really - when everyone else in the place is gonna be taking pics with their phones? That was the end of that.

it's kind of like bringing a stuffed animal to a concert and holding it up so it can see.

When I was at that reading for the new-wave history book, Terri Nunn mentioned that at her concert the night before, she was singing to a man in the first row who held her cell phone up the whole time, videotaping her. She said that she got so angry that he was watching her performance "through a filter", not getting the connection she was trying to make, that she took the phone from him and didn't give it back until after the show.