Where Were Your Last Five Dinners Out

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here comes the man who dines at 100 Montaditos assuming that sandwiches can't be eaten for dinner.

The rules of this game weren't spelled out in as much detail as the tax code. It appears that some of us listed the last five meals taken outside the home, regardless of where. And some of us excluded

last five dinners not related to work:   Tocqueville (& 15 East sake dinner that had dishes from both chefs) Louro (Bordeaux BYO) Racines Louro (Austria BYO) Racines (Stephane Tissot wines)

Anyway, I do see that Mouthfuls has sunk to new lows and has now been relegated to copying David Letterman Top 10 lists ... errrrr, make that Top 5 lists.

See, that's where you're wrong, Chambo. We've been relegated to having meta-discussions about how best to populate a list.

In other words, same as it ever was.

To be less gnomic, this thread grew out of a discussion about whether MF posters' stated preferences are really the same as their real preferences, as shown by where they actually choose to eat out.

So joe asked people to list the locations of their last five dinners out.

Oakapple says -- and I agree -- that local meals taken when you simply don't feel like cooking don't count, if you live in a neighborhood with a constricted enough range of choices that the local meals don't reflect a preference, but rather a necessity.

It's not he's not proud to eat at the local restaurants. Its that those meals don't reflect his preferences, but rather the limited choices he has to work with.

I didn't read that discussion. And unless one did, the origin is lost to the wind. Where is it buried?--in one of those interminable arguments that get boring fast to people who don't care to argue? (says she, arguing :P )

In any case, I disagree with the premise that having limited choices does not allow one to express preferences. Every meal eaten reflects one's preferences. One can choose not eat out but to cook instead (and to cook one thing rather than another); one can choose to eat at one place over another because one prefers that place, no matter that both are just okay. There are no guns to anyone's heads here, and no restrictions other than the self-imposed kind. We are able to express some preferences, however limited the choices. If there are two places where you could eat (all things being equal) and you pick one over the other, you have expressed a preference.

Just give me the phrase you want me to use as a proxy - 3 star, michelin, whatever - for the traditional western formal restaurant and I'll use that. But whatever term you use, it can't be because those places don't open up anymore...

No one said they don't open up anymore; only that with each passing year they are less common.

Oakapple says -- and I agree -- that local meals taken when you simply don't feel like cooking don't count, if you live in a neighborhood with a constricted enough range of choices that the local meals don't reflect a preference, but rather a necessity.

In any case, I disagree with the premise that having limited choices does not allow one to express preferences. Every meal eaten reflects one's preferences.

The rules of this game weren't spelled out in as much detail as the tax code. It appears that some of us listed the last five meals taken outside the home, regardless of where. And some of us excluded "neighborhood meals" at restaurants we visit mainly out of convenience, that would be of no interest to someone who didn't live there.

Sneakeater exaggerated a bit about not having a preference. There are over a dozen restaurants in Hudson Heights, so I'm certainly not without choices. Even if I lived in a restaurant-rich neighborhood, like the East Village, I'm sure I'd sometimes get take-out Chinese or a pizza slice.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Not counting my home neighborhood, and in reverse order:

Beautique

General Assembly

Chicane

Ariana

Narcissa

Oakapple, did you write about General Assembly? I can't find a thread, but I'm curious if anyone liked it.

Not counting my home neighborhood, and in reverse order:

Beautique

General Assembly

Chicane

Ariana

Narcissa

Oakapple, did you write about General Assembly? I can't find a thread, but I'm curious if anyone liked it.
Yes, he did and liked it. (I'm on my iPad and don't know how to do a link to his review.)

We had dinner there last Saturday and liked it as well. We each had the Caesar salad to start, then shared the spicy lamb ribs and the green tomato stuffed with polenta. Michael had a brownie ice cream dessert while I had a key lime eclair. Everything was well-prepared and delicious. Service was fine. The space is very large (big bar area in front) with attractive decor and comfortable seating. The noise level was pretty high (higher than I prefer), and that was with the dining room only about half full. So, if all tables were occupied, I think it could be hideously noisy.

Photos are on my Flickr.

Wow mine is not too exciting.. Going backwards, Great NY Noodletown, Arthur Bryant's KC, Waffle House KC, Hop shing & some place called Pie Pie Q cafe and before that, my last meal out in new york was some god awful place called Catfish in Brooklyn on 5/17. I haven't been home in some time. Actually, i am forgetting lunch in Elizabeth.. I will keep track now and play later :wacko: