Wilfrid

Big Changes I've Seen in Eating and Dining

I don't think we've done this one. Obviously we don't all have the same chronological perspective, but there's plenty of overlap. What big change have you seen in the way people cook, eat, and/or dine out in your lifetime?

Prompted by me reading an old guide book talking about how Mediterranean cooking had arrived in Paris and London: so here's my first one. Olive oil.

When I was a child in England, there might have been a tiny bottle in the cupboard for medicinal purposes (like unblocking ears). To consume it for pleasure was unthinkable.

Now it's unthinkable not to have it as an everyday food item.

Bring 'em on.

• Like 3

Fresh vegetables in general, and the wide variety more particularly. I grew up on frozen (French-cut green beans, spinach, cut corn, lima beans) and canned (peas, asparagus, mushrooms yuck yuck yuck). "Tomatoes" were those pinkish golf balls in a plastic cradle, wrapped with cellophane. It was a huge treat to get fresh string beans or peas in the pod from the A&P, or fresh corn. Lettuce was iceberg. It wasn't until 1976 that I saw red-leaf lettuce, and that was only because I went to Columbus, OH, one of the consumer testing centers of the country.

And we had a vegetable store in the neighborhood, but his offerings were nothing like what we can get now even at the supermarket.

Now, well . . . we don't eat quite the way Taliesin does, but the change is great.

Detailed provenance on fish in the markets, and increasingly on the menu. Country of origin, alleged method of catching, fresh or frozen, etc.

Much more information about products produced with or near nuts, or with gluten. The whole organic thing.

Craft beers and styles of beer.

The ascendance of Sriracha over the last 15 years. It's everywhere. Even chain restaurants are using it.

"Healthy," fast -food. Places like Chipotle, Chop't, Sweetgreens.

Rye whiskey.

In the same vein as Talies mentions, the variety equipment available to the home cook is astonishing.

growing up in the midwest in the 70s one would suppose the list would be endless.

The rise of ethnic foods being readily available in the hinterlands, in terms of both grocery options and restaurants. This corresponds with the patterns of immigration over the last 30 years. With the exception of the "Oriental" grocery that opened in the early 80s, there was pretty much nowhere to get Asian, Middle Eastern, Indian, or Latin American products in my little central NJ town.

The size of supermarkets in the suburbs. The ShopRite I grew up with was less than half the size of the behemoth that replaced it.

Increases in food allergies/sensitivities.

The decline in table manners and other behaviors at what one used to consider "fine dining" restaurants.

The dumbing down of "fine dining".

Vegan diets, organic food shops, more big food chains, 'upscale' coffee shops, unique/creative food truck foods, cooking shows as entertainment, quinoa products, loads of choices in fresh produce in supermarkets - fresh herbs, heirloom tomatoes, field greens, wild mushrooms, dozens of varieties of winter squash, GMO foods, fewer local farms, disappearance of milk delivery from local dairy farms, documenting meals out with photography on the internet, food forums, artisan bread shops, weekly local farm markets

Some of these relate to living in the suburbs.