The Hundred-Foot Journey

Okay, it's a highly-stylized, feel good movie, and the close resemblance to the plot of Chocolat is no coincidence, but this may be the best movie about being a chef since Ratatouille. Despite some curious slips* it gets the romance of it all. And the food looks great.

Opens in New York today. I saw a preview at Bowtie Chelsea last night.

*Mother's dried spices are not going to last that long, especially if they're not properly sealed. Michelin stars are awarded by inspectors, not critics. Is there really much point smelling a sea urchin without opening it first?

• Like 5

this may be the best movie about being a chef since Ratatouille.

l.v anderson, who (among other things) doesn't seem to know that there's technique involved in non-molecular gastronomy cooking as well, disagrees with you.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/08/08/the_hundred_foot_journey_cooking_what_lasse_hallstr_m_s_new_movie_gets_wrong.html

Well, someone is styling the food, and I don't think it's the best boy grip.

The scenes in a highly experimental kitchen in Paris are wonderful caricature.

Anderson? "Totally charming" fairy tale is a nice way to put it. Like Ratatouille. But did she see the same movie? Hassan and family spend inordinate amounts of time chopping and prepping for their restaurant. There are whole scenes of emulsifying sauces--successfully and unsuccessfully--lovingly filmed. Maybe she dozed.

But yes, "highly stylized, feel good"--or "fairy tale," sure.

this

“Top Chef Masters” winner Floyd Cardoz helped consult on culinary matters. “This book could have been about my life,” he told Blake. Like the promising young chef in the movie, Cardoz’s life was changed when he went to a restaurant with his mother in Mumbai. He went on to cook at the influential New York restaurant Tabla. Along with a team of other chefs — but no movie food stylists — Cardoz cooked the food seen in numerous shots of sumptuous meals in the film.

• 7 months later...

this

“Top Chef Masters” winner Floyd Cardoz helped consult on culinary matters. “This book could have been about my life,” he told Blake. Like the promising young chef in the movie, Cardoz’s life was changed when he went to a restaurant with his mother in Mumbai. He went on to cook at the influential New York restaurant Tabla. Along with a team of other chefs — but no movie food stylists — Cardoz cooked the food seen in numerous shots of sumptuous meals in the film.

According to the extra on the DVD, Anil Sharma was the Indian chef consultant for the movie, and he trained Manish Dayal (the main character). Floyd Cardoz conceived and cooked "a couple" of the dishes used in the movie, and helped with the food set up for some of the scenes.

On the French side, Vincent Meslin was the consulant and Lenaic Jourdren was the French chef's assistant.

But they also say there were many chefs and consultants working on the movie, so there may have been more. Those were the only ones mentioned by name (and interviewed for or shown in the extra).

In the extra, Helen Mirren said, "I think movies about food have to be beautiful. It has to be a visceral experience. You come out of those movies just wanting to eat, don't you, you know? And that's what movies about food should be like."

I certainly finished this movie wanting to eat.

I was surprised to see Oprah Winfrey as one of the producers, as she did not appear in the movie at all, as far as I could tell. She did appear in the extra, but she did not speak!