Dumpling of the Month Club?

I'm in for whatever, as long as it's not something I suggested, because I don't think I can live it down if we get bad food on my call twice in a row ;)

• Like 1
  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Per a conversation offline, I'm proposing that we start a Dumpling of the Month club along the lines of our Burger of the Month outings. We may want to alternate the two depending on how busy we all

Wow, you guys were in my old 'hood. Of course back then, the best thing to eat at Crossroads was Shakey's Pizza. Sounds great, will have to try to get over there.

I'll check & let you know. we have a friend coming into town that weekend for a convention, so I'm not sure when we get to visit with him... [eta - and I may have to bow out for a little while a

Yes! That's something I'd be up for.

Lauren or Eden if I can get to one of you, can I hitch a ride to the eastside? (be there 10ish?)

of course! and room for one more if needed :)

Eastern Pearl was really good overall, though their soup dumplings were too fragile to hold soup :(
I loved loved loved the turnip cakes, they used freshly grated turnip (sweet not bitter) and crisped them perfectly. I also really enjoyed the deep fried pork knuckle. I liked that they had several items I hadn't tried before including both sweet and salty soy milk. I will definitely be going back when I'm in that neighborhood.

I enjoyed our trip to Eastern Pearl. I think dim sum-wise it's at the bottom or Seattle's new top tier places (Dough Zone, Hong Kong in Lynwood), but a world ahead of the old school Seattle "bests" (Jade Garden, Joy Palace, etc.)

That said, I think the Hakka cuisine was really exciting and good, and I'm hoping to make it back for a dinner to check out more of the specialties. I used to frequent the Hakka place on Aurora before it closed many years ago (it was where what is now Tropicos Breeze is) for both dim sum and the occasional Hakka specialty, and this fills a hole in my Chinese cuisine map around here.

Speaking of which... Dalian house, which served quite lovely food from Dalian area in the U-District from a total hole-in-the-wall has re-opened on the Eastside and should be worth a visit. (Brett was in Dalian recently and reports that aside from good food, it's a lovely place and reminds him a lot of Seattle.)

Dang it...Am I too late if I tell you I ended up trying it today, and I'd HIGHLY recommend we go north to Lynwood or east instead? (Sorry BJC...but, then again, she also recommends the re-heated Jade Garden at Monsoon...so yeah)

Interested to hear your critiques of Foo Lam. We went this weekend and really liked it, particularly the steamed dumplings and turnip cake. Admittedly, we didn't try a wide range of stuff.

Interested to hear your critiques of Foo Lam. We went this weekend and really liked it, particularly the steamed dumplings and turnip cake. Admittedly, we didn't try a wide range of stuff.

Not that it was terrible, just not anything special. No great pops of flavor or interesting highlights.

Mostly just found it to be greasy/heavy--not that dim sum is ever a light meal, but found this to be particularly so.

I didn't think it was particularly any better (if at all) than say, Joy Palace which isn't far away, and definitely don't think it's as good as Dough Zone, Eastern Pearl, or Hong Kong in Lynwood.

Not that it was terrible, just not anything special. No great pops of flavor or interesting highlights.

Mostly just found it to be greasy/heavy--not that dim sum is ever a light meal, but found this to be particularly so.

I didn't think it was particularly any better (if at all) than say, Joy Palace which isn't far away, and definitely don't think it's as good as Dough Zone, Eastern Pearl, or Hong Kong in Lynwood.

Fair enough. I thought that, in particular, the pork and peanut and shrimp and herb dumplings had more pop flavor-wise than other places we go (mostly O'Asian and Hong Kong Seafood). Agree they're heavy, because the wrappers are thick. I'd like to try some of the Eastside places.

Over on the Burger of the Month thread, our plans to have burgers at Lark on Wednesday, June 17th were foiled when Lark was full that night. Rather than lose a date that we are all available, we decided to do Lark another night and have dumplings on the 17th instead. Is anyone else interested/available to join us that night? How about we give Sebi's a try?

• Like 1

Greetings, ithere is a slight chance that I & my friend Diane & Steve from Cleveland my be available & we may attend this Wedneday. What is the possible start time & ETA time of dispersal as Steve's flight @ seatac gets in @ 8:30pm & we might just drop in to hi @ the very least ... cheers.

Tentative plan is Sebi's at 8, with drinks beforehand somewhere TBD.

Right now I think we have

Lauren

Naomi

Steve

Eden

Connie

Diane and maybe her Steve

Anyone else?