• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Go on..    

A friend of mine was recently forced to taste wines in in FMRI experiment. It turns out it's different delivered by tube when you're lying on your back in a noisy machine.   They then had him blind

That's so true. 82 Petrus has only 7% more quality in it than 05 Belair and that's just a scientific fact.

I know you're joking, but in all seriousness it actually is a fact that people can't even tell red wine from white in blind tests.

As long as I can pick the "people," the "red wine," and the "white wine," I bet I can make this true every time.

I bet I could also consistently arrange the opposite outcome with different choices. I would bet large sums.

I read one story where a guy poured the same exact wine three times to a panel of tasting experts and none of them noticed - in fact they gave it three completely different ratings.

A friend of mine was recently forced to taste wines in in FMRI experiment. It turns out it's different delivered by tube when you're lying on your back in a noisy machine.

They then had him blind taste the tough panel, which he correctly spotted as 7 each of 2 different wines. They told him that most of their subjects didn't know.

So it can be done.

• Like 1

If you can pick the people then it's easy -- but what would your choice of wine be to make it maximally confusing. No cheating with skin-contact whites!

Well, that would be one easy cheat. Reds without much tannin would be another. Oaky whites tannic from their barrels. Poulsard. Carbonic anything. That kind of thing.

You don't even have to go outside Ganevat's repertoire to create a highly misleading tasting.

But I've seen people with deep cellars and self-esteems mistake obvious whites for obvious reds.

But I've seen people with deep cellars and self-esteems mistake obvious ....

[obvious dreck for something worth $$$, obvious hype for the same, obvious this and obvious that.]

I don't suppose that anyone here thinks that money and ego=expertise. Former participants notwithstanding.