balex

Gloating about trophy wines

is a '79 beychevelle anything special? i hope not. i had several bottles, but recently discovered that my mom moved one bottle that i had left behind, in a safe place in the cool basement, to a plastic tub, next to a radiator in her attic. she thought it would be safer there during the winter.

A sad tale.

'79s are nearing the end of their days. First growths still good, but when you go down the ladder a bit, they are fading. I would open it soon and have a backup bottle.

I have enjoyed a lot of wines from the vintage, but they were always on the lighter side.'81s not dissimilar.

it had changed color in the bottle. i let my mom keep it. not sure if she drank it or threw it away

is a '79 beychevelle anything special? i hope not. i had several bottles, but recently discovered that my mom moved one bottle that i had left behind, in a safe place in the cool basement, to a plastic tub, next to a radiator in her attic. she thought it would be safer there during the winter.

A sad tale.

'79s are nearing the end of their days. First growths still good, but when you go down the ladder a bit, they are fading. I would open it soon and have a backup bottle.

I have enjoyed a lot of wines from the vintage, but they were always on the lighter side.'81s not dissimilar.

it had changed color in the bottle. i let my mom keep it. not sure if she drank it or threw it away

wine vinegar for salad dressing?

A sad tale.

Requiescat in pace.

85 Palmer a bit stewed and soupy last night but 73 Vina Real was great. Not complex, but smooth and seamless and balanced. And very clean for an oldish wine. Lovely to drink.

And a wonderful Egon Muller Scharzhofberger 99 Kabinett.

A sad tale.

Requiescat in pace.

Oy.

Oof.

Anyway 03 Rousseau Clos de Beze -- I wouldn't normally drink a Rousseau Grand Cru at 11 years old but 03 is a little different; a bit of prominent oak at the beginning but then the fruit comes out, very ripe, maybe lacking a touch of freshness to my taste but a delicious wine, balanced drinking beautifully. Powerful and concentrated. But absolutely not worth whatever it would cost to buy a bottle now. My last of 3 bottles I think. And a domaine I am completely priced out of now.

Tonight will be Vincent Dancer -- a few steps down the ladder ...