NYT's Top NJ Picks

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, Chop, I clipped the article from the newspaper for my restaurant files. It was not a top 10 list but, rather, as the subtitle put it, A Roundup of the Year's Culinary Standouts, i.e., the restaurants that Cook and Corcoran gave ratings of Excellent and Very Good.

Excellent

Cucharamama, Hoboken

Relish, Sparkhill, NY

Village Green, Ridgewood

Very Good

Bula, Newton

La Campagne, Cherry Hill

Chakra, Paramus

Dining Room at Anthony David's, Hoboken

Elements Cafe, Hadden Heights

Elysian Cafe, Hoboken

Frank's Waterside, North Bergen

Keum Ho Jung, Edison

Laceno's Italian Grill, Vorhees

Marsilio's, Trenton

Ming, Edison

Mosaica, Vauxhall

New China, Hamilton

Nunzio Ristorante Rustico, Collingswood

Pho An Dao, Edison

Red Hen Cafe, Meford

Sweet Vidalia, Beach Haven

Trattoria Fresco, Caldwell

Wasabi, Nyack NY

Wazwan@Santoor, West Caldwell

Why there are any NY restaurants listed, let alone two, is beyond my comprehension. And, it's a bit too heavily weighted toward northern NJ establishments.

Here's a 2004 Top 10 List from the Artful Diner who does restaurant reviews and moderates a forum on nj.com. It's weighted more toward the southern part of NJ.

Here's a 2004 Top 10 List from the Artful Diner who does restaurant reviews and moderates a forum on nj.com. It's weighted more toward the southern part of NJ.

I've always enjoyed Artful Diner's roundup...I think he's a thoughtful reviewer....Cocharan is great, but Cook seems erratic..in one review, waxing poetic about the decor and ignoring the food, and the next review raving tabout the food, but not adressing that its in a run down strip mall with paper napkins... I like that she tries ethnic restaurants, but am not convinced that she "gets" the cuisine well enough to review it.

The NY Times Jersey regional considers Rockland County NY as part of the *region* and it's news beat. It's always been that way. If you live north of I-80 then you probably wouldn't think it's so strange. If you live in the extreme northeast part of the state (as I do) then downright normal and expected. I live in NJ and those NY restaurants are closer than Ridgewood. I read the Times so the inclusion is welcome to those of us who live close by.

Sparkill is what? Just about nestled right up on the state line, right?

Besides up here everything below I-80 is considered South Jersey. :lol:

I've always enjoyed Artful Diner's roundup...I think he's a thoughtful reviewer....Cocharan is great, but Cook seems erratic..in one review, waxing poetic about the decor and ignoring the food, and the next review raving tabout the food, but not adressing that its in a run down strip mall with paper napkins... I like that she tries ethnic restaurants, but am not convinced that she "gets" the cuisine well enough to review it.

My take: Karla Cook is very influenced by what her dining companions think of a place. Reading her reviews over the years shows what would seem to be inconsistency, but may just be a good reading of what interests her guests.

Otherwise, it's hard not to observe that she'll mention a meat prep in great detail in place A, but not even order it in place B. I think I may have triggered a discussion on eG about this observation a few years ago.