Wild boar sausage

For those of you who read my post on the other thread -- I had dinner the other night at Velo (in Nyack). I ordered the pappardelle, with wild boar sausage and mushrooms. It was excellent. The wild boar sausage was very flavorful. I am a big fan of sausage, and have had many types, in many different places -- but this sausage was excellent. The flavors and tastes were very enjoyable. The nuances of different tastes, flavors, etc. -- maybe it was different seasonings, herbs, etc. I don't know.

I hadn't had wild boar sausage in a very long time, and I don't remember where was the last time I had it. It might have been at someone's house, and they might have gotten it from a specialty butcher or something. In the course of my travels, and I hit butcher shops often -- I've not seen wild boar sausage.

Does anyone know where you can buy quality wild boar sausage?

Thank you in advance.

• Like 3

D'artagnan carries it.

I know Bielliese makes a dry salami with wild boar - I've never seen a fresh sausage from them at the retail shop - but that' doesn't mean much if I'm being honest. Give'em a call. Very good sausage maker.

I did some searching and saw D'artagnan makes it. I saw a couple of specialty shops where to buy, but none were around here. I also wasn't sure of the quality, how fresh it might be, etc. -- but I'll check it out. Thanks. As far as Bielliese -- I know those guys and already thought about calling them. I know about the salami (I think I've seen it on their website) so who knows if they make the sausage as well. They are excellent. Thanks again.

ShopRite carries the D'Artagnan wild boar sausage. If you don't see it, they can order it from their list. (Kings may carry it, but it's been forever since I've been in a Kings)

Thanks. I didn't know ShopRite carries it. What's your opinion on the quality? Thank you in advance.

I've had it but not recently, so I'd hesitate to venture an opinion.

Thanks. I've tended to like their products -- very good quality. I see you can buy direct from them via their website. I guess some items they ship frozen, some cooked and ready to heat, etc. -- depends on the item. Might be time to do some shopping, LOL.

The wild boar sausage and wild boar bacon are my favorite D'Artagnan products. A half-pound will probably set you back about $6.

If you wanted to try making your own, Fossil Farms in Boonton carries ground wild boar, which I use periodically. It also carries several muscle cuts.

• Like 1

The wild boar sausage and wild boar bacon are my favorite D'Artagnan products. A half-pound will probably set you back about $6.

If you wanted to try making your own, Fossil Farms in Boonton carries ground wild boar, which I use periodically. It also carries several muscle cuts.

Thanks. No, I am not going to try and make my own, but I might be interested in picking up the ground meat -- burgers, meatballs, etc. -- and see what it's like. As far as the sausage -- I'll stick with buying it, cooking it, and eating it, LOL.

I don't know where Velo got theirs, or if they made it themselves, but it was excellent. I am going to ask them. Thanks again.

D'artagnan carries it.

I know Bielliese makes a dry salami with wild boar - I've never seen a fresh sausage from them at the retail shop - but that' doesn't mean much if I'm being honest. Give'em a call. Very good sausage maker.

Odd, I always see a bunch of fresh sausages in the cold case at the shop.

• 5 weeks later...

A friend bought some of the D'artagnan wild boar sausage, and he did get it at a ShopRite. He said they didn't have the bacon, which I've never had, but I am looking forward to trying it.

The sausage was very good -- a lot of flavors and taste. Not as good as I had at Velo, but certainly a very good tasting, flavorful sausage. I am going to check out some local butchers, speciality shops, etc. and see if I can find it home or store-made, "from scratch" so to speak.

So has anyone had the bacon? What's it like? Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Their bacon is swell. And, if you have a hard time getting any d'art products ELA just let me know. I can add it to my orders!

Have a swell one. P2 is well on its way!

Thank you so very much...I think I am going to take you up on that offer, and when I come in for my shipment, I'll just stick around for dinner! LOL.

Actually, I called D'artagnan -- they haven't been making the wild boar bacon for a while now. Too bad as I would have like to try that too. But she said the sausage is regularly shipped and you just have to check some of the local markets (Shoprite, A&P and Fairway) and see if they have it. You can also order from their website.