Sign in to follow this  
joethefoodie

San Francisco in 2014 and Beyond

Here's a question from the homefront. I would like a small (24-30 seat) restaurant that serves edgy food, small servings. Prefer not to dine with old farts or 20something techies altho latter is preferable. Cost not an issue but I don't want Saison/Benu/SingleThread food or ambiance. Nor club/party atmosphere. Actually looking for the kind of young chef place we patronize in Paris where food and wine are the focus. A meal composed of La Ciccia aps comes close.

Ideas?

Saison? Ive heard a handful of recent reports that are about the highest praise I've ever heard of any restaurant anywhere.

I really tried to like it before (at their Mission locations too) and never did, so I figured spending another $2k+ on checking whether I'll get the magic this time just wasn't prudent.

Is this the live SF thread?

I don't know if there would be any new recommendations since last time I asked. Petit Crenn, Monsieur Benjamin, Boulevard, Tosca Cafe, Rich Table, Cockscomb, Trou Normand: for example. Done those, can find high end, anything else in that bracket?

Will be good to go in March. Last trip, Dreamforce, it was either reserve far in advance or eat burgers. Did walk into Tosca, too far uphill for the badge wearers.

You need to reserve. But take comfort that it is just as annoying/impossible for locals. Maybe walk-in at 10:00 and maybe find the kitchen broken down.

If you're going to be near the Moscone Center, Anchor & Hope on Minna Street is a good, reliable seafood restaurant. Quite noisy at peak hours, though, and reservations are very much recommended.

Trying to decide where to eat next week, and reviewing suggestions here, I realize what I'm really looking for is Otway SF. 🙄

You can have Otway NY because of real estate gradient, not in SF where it's crazy in all directions.

I know how you feel about Italian, but have you been to La Ciccia yet? Otherwise, The Morris, Progress, etc. I don't think there are any recent additions that are an improvement.

We're going in 2 weeks, and I have reservations at La Ciccia, the Progress, and I'll probably go to Kin Khao, cause why not?

Heard Lord Stanley is good. And maybe Bar Crenn, but impossible to get into? And hungry after.

Thanks for these. I am overdue for a Kin Khao revisit.

Yes, The Morris, everything looks good until as a meat eater the entree is either a sausage or sixty buck fancy stuff. I will look at La Ciccia again.