Sign in to follow this  
joethefoodie

San Francisco in 2014 and Beyond

One Market is so expensive I was glad it was a business meal. Nice duck, but $100 a head for one entree and two glasses from the bottom end of the wine list. Oh and a small side of spinach.

One Market is so expensive I was glad it was a business meal. Nice duck, but $100 a head for one entree and two glasses from the bottom end of the wine list. Oh and a small side of spinach.

Is it really?

I mean, there's a 6 course tasting menu for $99; and the prices look no higher than a mid-level NYC place these days. Your duck and spinach were $45, I think - certainly not onerous.

Very interesting.    Was there perhaps an error on the bill?

Doubt it - but if the food was $45, another $30 on wine, tax, tip you're at about $100.

Which if I recall, isn't that expensive for a meal out - these days.

Yeah, my concern wasn't that it was $100, my concern was the surprise expressed by the poster, when the prices are actually quite normal.

Hey, Wilf, I know it's old hat for you but you do need to hit Buena Vista Cafe for an Irish coffee this weekend.     I remember a period when a night out always ended here for a nightcap.    Especially when I was working and visiting nobs always expected this SF institution.

Grateful to the learned poster above. Yeah, not so much abnormality as the thought that three courses and a bottle of wine, perchance a coffee, would have made the check ridiculous for the level of restaurant this is.

Hey, Wilf, I know it's old hat for you but you do need to hit Buena Vista Cafe for an Irish coffee this weekend. I remember a period when a night out always ended here for a nightcap. Especially when I was working and visiting nobs always expected this SF institution.

Thanks for the recommendation. I think I am going to be surrounded by a lot of Irish things tomorrow.

The San Leandro side trip, on a lovely sunny evening, was great. Kendejah, a Liberian restaurant, offering a much more deeply flavored version of a dish I eat at B&D Halal (or the other one) in Chelsea. Cassava sauce with chicken and shards of smoky turkey. I dipped into another stew with jute leaves, and some oxtail.

Making a night of it, as the saying goes, the posse repaired to Cunha’s Cocktails, where we enjoyed the Wild West effect of the patrons falling silent and staring at us as we entered. I think the three of us separately, let alone together, strayed outside the demographic of the regulars.

I tipped small so we won.

It's a glorious day to be alive and five in San Francisco...

46674862334_8e80658009_b.jpg

Wilf seems to bringing out the best for us.

• Like 1

Cassava sauce?

Cassava leaf sauce.  You can see a picture of it on their menu--scroll down to the Friday specials.

Yeah, the bar thing was....interesting.  I've never had an entire bar stare at me as I walked in.  But my rum and coke was pretty strong, and no one actually bothered us.  We sat in a table way in the corner which clearly wasn't any regular's usual spot.