DanM

25 Lbs of Quince - now what do I do with them?

Yup. I have 25 lbs of quince. A local pick your own farm had a special whatever you can fit in the bag for $20 special. I walked away with 25 lbs of quince. I typically find them for $2.50 each at the store, so this was a steal. Besides the obvious need to make a couple of batches of quince paste, what should I make with them?

• Like 2

And to add, I am very jealous! I've wanted to make quince paste for many years, but have never been able to get enough quince to do it (or any quince, really).

Quince cordial: Peel but do not core 1 quince. Combine in a 1-quart glass jar with 3 cardamom pods, 1 whole clove, and 2 cups white rum. Cap. let sit for a month or so, shaking sometimes. Make a simple syrup of 1/3 cup each sugar and water; cool completely. Strain the liqueur through several layers of cheesecloth. Add syrup to taste. Bottle and store in a dark place.

That was adapted (well, copied with wording changes) from Elizabeth Schneider's Uncommon Fruits and Vegetables. She also has recipes for:

• Honey-Baked Quince Slices
  • Chicken Baked with Quinces
  • Stew of Quinces and Lamb with Saffron and Split Peas
  • Quince Conserve with Vanilla
  • Quince Marmalade with Lemon and Ginger
  • Quince and Almond Tart
  • Quince Paste Candy

Whatever you make, save the skins, cores, and seeds and boil them to make pectin. Then you can use that to make other preserves. (The Quince Conserve above uses them for that purpose, cooking the quince slices in the pectin.)

How about a lamb and quince tagine for dinner? Claudia Roden has a recipe for one in her Book of Middle Eastern Food. (I actually made it for dinner Friday night, but subbed beef for lamb).

How about a lamb and quince tagine for dinner? Claudia Roden has a recipe for one in her Book of Middle Eastern Food. (I actually made it for dinner Friday night, but subbed beef for lamb).

I saw that recipe last night. Good lamb has been hard to find around here lately, but the chicken tagine looks just as wonderful.

I saw that recipe last night. Good lamb has been hard to find around here lately, but the chicken tagine looks just as wonderful.

Dan, the beef might not be traditional, but we enjoyed it enormously (and it's ridiculously easy to make).